Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Struggling with the organisation of Photos

I've recently ended an eight year relationship and as you can imagine there are lots of photos of us in Photos on my MAC and in iCloud! Please help - I'd like to move them somewhere (archive?) so that I don't keep seeing his face 😉 but so that I've got time to sort and delete in my own time. How do I best do this. I found iPhoto so much easier as I knew I could archive the files somewhere.

This could take hours and my original idea of creating an archive album in Photos doesn't work because the photos still appear in "photos" and "memories".

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 6:30 AM

Would copy the complete Photos Library to an external drive. Your Photos Library will by default be in your Pictures folder. Name the copy on your external drive "Photos Library Archive.photoslibrary".

Test, if this copied library is working properly. Then open again your current library by double-clicking it in the Finder.

If you have many photos of your former partner, you should be able to the photos with recognized faces in the People Album.

Open the People album with his photos and either hide them (select all photos, then enter the key combination ⌘L to hide the photos. Or enter ⌘⌫ to delete them completely from your current library.

If you added titles and descriptions to your photos, you may also be able to search for the name - either using the search field or a smart album with the rule (text contains ....)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 6:30 AM in response to jocharliebee108

Would copy the complete Photos Library to an external drive. Your Photos Library will by default be in your Pictures folder. Name the copy on your external drive "Photos Library Archive.photoslibrary".

Test, if this copied library is working properly. Then open again your current library by double-clicking it in the Finder.

If you have many photos of your former partner, you should be able to the photos with recognized faces in the People Album.

Open the People album with his photos and either hide them (select all photos, then enter the key combination ⌘L to hide the photos. Or enter ⌘⌫ to delete them completely from your current library.

If you added titles and descriptions to your photos, you may also be able to search for the name - either using the search field or a smart album with the rule (text contains ....)

Dec 12, 2017 7:24 AM in response to jocharliebee108

use the People section, identify him in as many photos as you can and then select his album and the select all o export (file menu) export to the desired location and delete (command delete) to move to the recently deleted album and then then open the recently album and delete form there - beyond that it requires you looking at each photo and making a decision - People is the only automated way to identify people

LN

Struggling with the organisation of Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.