Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garbled TOC

I crated TOC for my document. However when I changed the page size to 6x9, the TOC got garbled. I deleted it, inserted again, updated several times, but to no avail. Please, help. It is important.

OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 6:23 AM

21 replies

Dec 12, 2017 5:00 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I see what you mean. I have been doing that, and the ruler was there all the time. The tabs are positioned correctly for every level, however the page numbers are not aligned under the right tab, but became continuation of the labels, for example, 'Confession.40' or 'The Pitcher.195'. For the top level, the page numbers appear on the second line under the labels. And every level is screwed up. I have been using pages for a while, but not heavily, and pretty much by myself. The manual is sketchy.

Dec 12, 2017 5:23 PM in response to milehr

Page Setup… is the only way to change the page size.

Changing the page size does not change the layout. The margins obviously shrink the area where the text fits, which is why I explained to you the tabs, particularly the page number off to the far right outside the margin, don't catch the text. So they spill to the next line.

If you look at what is happening, you can see all this.

Peter

Dec 12, 2017 5:58 PM in response to milehr

You do not understand. At all.

The ToC Styles are set for the full US letter/A4 size.

Shrinking the page or changing it in any way, even enlarging, does not change the ToC styles. The tabs stay exactly where they were, even as I said off to the right outside the margins. Something easy to test and look for.

Assuming that it all adjusts against all the evidence that it doesn't is where you are going wrong, irrationally thinking that doing it over and over again, or "updating" changes anything.

It obviously does not.

Simply clicking on the rule to create a new right hand tab to catch the page number will demonstrate that.

Peter

Dec 13, 2017 5:04 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

OK, it worked. I set page to the letter size and was able to move the tab about 2 inches to the left without collapsing the TOC. Then, set the page back to 6x9. You are a genius, Peter. Saved me a great deal of aggravation and time. Thanks a lot! Now, as long as I have you on the line, is it possible to start each top level entry of TOC on a new page? I have 2 volumes and would like them look separate in the TOC. Thanks again.

Michael

Dec 13, 2017 11:59 AM in response to milehr

In pages 6.3.1 you can have a ToC for the entire document, or each Section) at the front of each Section.

You can't break up the ToC itself it is a monolithic uneditable (except for style) piece of text. If you really want, and you will lose the page links, export the ToC to a text file and reimport it to use as text, then you can do with it whatever you want.

In Pages '09 this works well because of its superior bookmarking.

Peter

Dec 13, 2017 2:00 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks, Peter. Top of the page is not a big deal.

I have another problem with uneditable (page?) numbers appearing between the page header and the body. It is as if each page is under a transparent film, and those numbers are on the film. Unfortunately, they get printed with the page. I am not very familiar with these support communities' practices, so have to ask whether should open a new thread with this issue.

Michael

Dec 13, 2017 2:46 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Not sure if I understood you. They are not from Word and appeared after I played with ToC, or maybe after changed the page size and switched to the book layout (Facing Pages). They appear only on the lift-side pages, at the same place on each page, and usually it is number '1' with tiny speckle next to it. I tried to turn on "Make background objects selectable" option, but it does not seem to help.

Garbled TOC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.