Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s fingerprint iD stopped working.

I opened up my iPhone 5s to instal a new battery. When I finished and closed it up, I couldn’t get my fingerprint iD to work. It keeps saying, “Failed: unable to complete Touch ID setup. Please go back and try again”

I have tried to restore the device, done a complete reset and still nothing works.

Note: When I was doing the battery installation, I got too excited and turned on the device before reconnecting the fingerprint iD ribon back.

I don’t know what to do. Please help.

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 9:29 AM

1 reply

Dec 12, 2017 10:42 AM in response to pingug

As you opened the phone yourself, you relinquished all Apple support for it. And most likely you damaged something inside when it was open. Did you replace any cables? Break any of the very fine connections? Overflex the HOME button cable? You're probably now stuck with a phone without Touch ID. The HOME button, cable for it and the logic board are all matched. Replacing or damaging either the button or the cable will permanently disable Touch ID.

iPhone 5s fingerprint iD stopped working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.