Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost firmware pw on macbookpro5,5 OS X10.11.6. Cannot accerss system revovery or some other sys commands

Lost power during elecrtrical storm and systems went down for about 2 or 3 hours. After power was restored my mac started request firmware password on boot with Command "R", "S", option key, I have tried many things with gui and with terminal commands just to have them rejected.

The system will boot into my supervisor profile but the error msg here is "you do not have autrhority to make the changes. I have and external backup boot drive but that is no help either but still will boot in el cap session no problem. Anyone who has advanced terminal commands would probably know how to hack the firmware so that a proprietary password can be used. Thanx for your attention.

MacBook Pro, iOS 11, really iOS 10.11.6

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 10:32 AM

Better take your system to apple authorised service centre along with original invoice don't try to open the firmware lock by your own ( if you have lost the password ) , you can damage the system firmware .

The service centre guys are trained on this subject and will do it .

Read an article How to set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2017 10:32 AM in response to billfromkatonah

Better take your system to apple authorised service centre along with original invoice don't try to open the firmware lock by your own ( if you have lost the password ) , you can damage the system firmware .

The service centre guys are trained on this subject and will do it .

Read an article How to set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

lost firmware pw on macbookpro5,5 OS X10.11.6. Cannot accerss system revovery or some other sys commands

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.