Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I used to use an old email address for my apple id but changed the email for my apple id a year ago. Whenever I update my computer, it brings up my old email as my apple id and wants me to put in my old PW which I don't remember. Why?

I changed the email address and password for my apple id in 2016. I can sign in with the new one fine and use iTunes, App store, etc. But every time I have a computer update or if I try to open System Preferences, an iCloud window opens up that says I need to update my password for the old apple ID (my old email address that I do not use now.) Why does that keep happening since I changed my apple id and have a different one now? How can I get my computer to get rid of that old apple id?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 4:18 PM

Because you made a new Apple ID, instead of updating the old one.

All purchases are forever tied to the Apple ID that made them, and in the case if Apps will always and forever require that Apple ID and password to update.

You'll either need to recover the password to the old Apple ID, with the old email, or delete all apps downloaded with that Apple ID to stop the prompts.

You can contact iTunes Account security and see if they can help you regain access to that account.

iTunes Store - Contact Us - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 4:18 PM in response to mamarain

Because you made a new Apple ID, instead of updating the old one.

All purchases are forever tied to the Apple ID that made them, and in the case if Apps will always and forever require that Apple ID and password to update.

You'll either need to recover the password to the old Apple ID, with the old email, or delete all apps downloaded with that Apple ID to stop the prompts.

You can contact iTunes Account security and see if they can help you regain access to that account.

iTunes Store - Contact Us - Apple Support

Dec 13, 2017 10:45 AM in response to Phil0124

Thanks for your reply! I think I didn't use the correct terminology in my post. When I changed my Apple ID email, I did it while I was on the phone with Apple support so they could help me. The guy I talked to there said (I think) that I would have to keep one of the emails that I had originally signed up with (I had my old email and then my backup email I guess.) He said we could use my backup email for the main email and make a new password which I did. So does that change your reply to me at all about why my old email keeps showing up when I restart my computer saying that I need to update my password for that old email for iCloud?? Thanks for your help!

Dec 13, 2017 4:12 PM in response to Phil0124

If I go and open up System Preferences and then iCloud, it has my new/correct email and lets me put in my password. I didn't see my old email anywhere. But when my computer restarts/updates/ and sometimes I think for reasons I'm unaware of, it has that system preferences/iCloud window open asking for me to update the password for my old email. I did try to enter my new password into that old email and it says it's not correct.

Dec 13, 2017 4:32 PM in response to mamarain

That is what is causing the problem. You, even though Apple was helping you, created a new Apple ID. When you restart the computer, are you logged into iCloud in System Preferences/iCloud? If you are asked for the password of your old ID, is there a cancel option? If so, and you click that, can you then click sign in and enter your current user ID/password?

I used to use an old email address for my apple id but changed the email for my apple id a year ago. Whenever I update my computer, it brings up my old email as my apple id and wants me to put in my old PW which I don't remember. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.