Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with Preview -

Since latest update - 10.13.1 - have had trouble with Preview app. I know how to set Preview as default pdf / jgp / etc reader - but Grab app keeps opening files no matter what I do. Also, when printing from Preview, the beach ball spins for a while and printing is delayed. I can't be the only one with these problems - any suggestions?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 4 GB RAM

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 7:34 AM

Could be you Finder preferences file has become corrupt.

Click Go in Finder, click Go To Folder, type in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist click Go.

A Finder window will open with the .plist highlighted, move it to the Trash.

Restart your mac, in Finder select a file and click command-i to get the info window up, select Preview as the default

app to open it with, then click on Change All so all docs of that type will open with Preview. Restart your mac and see if the setting has stuck.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 7:34 AM in response to carlknoblock

Could be you Finder preferences file has become corrupt.

Click Go in Finder, click Go To Folder, type in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist click Go.

A Finder window will open with the .plist highlighted, move it to the Trash.

Restart your mac, in Finder select a file and click command-i to get the info window up, select Preview as the default

app to open it with, then click on Change All so all docs of that type will open with Preview. Restart your mac and see if the setting has stuck.

Dec 12, 2017 10:54 PM in response to grf819

Since 12.13.2 Preview seems to become invisible now and then, so the file I'm trying to open is opened with something else. If I use Control to get an "open with", Preview isn't even listed. It is still installed, and will return to normal, but it is very annoying while it's hiding. Grab is only one of the apps that try to open the file, some of them actually do.

Trouble with Preview -

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.