Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Apple Watch after upgrading to 4.2

I have two questions:

1. I thought upgrading to 4.2 added downhill skiing tracking to Series 3 watch. I can't find it

2. After upgrading to 4.2 my watch is still tracking standing in the activity app but is no longer tracking move or exercise for the past two days. I have shut down watch and reset but it still does not appear to be tracking

Thank you for your help.

Mac

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 8:43 AM

Hi

1. Downhill Skiing

The built-in Workout app on Apple Watch does not include downhill skiing as a main activity type (this was not added as part of watchOS 4.2) , but workouts for activities that are not included within the main activity types can still be named using a choice of labelling options, which do include Downhill Skiing.

For workouts that are neither included within nor sufficiently similar to the main activity types - including downhill skiing - record your workout by selecting "Other" as the activity type.

Upon ending the workout, tap on the option to Name Workout. Available labels include Downhill Skiing.

"Other" workouts that have previously been named will become available to repeat within the Workout app, complete with their previously selected naming label.

If you would like to submit a feature request to Apple for downhill skiing to be added as a main activity type, complete with custom calorie estimations, then you can do so here:

Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

(You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community).

More information:

When recording a workout via the Workout app, choosing the activity type that most closely matches your workout enables Apple Watch to use the most appropriate sensors and data sources when estimating the results, including using tailored calorie calculations for preset activity types.

For activities that are not included within the list or that are not sufficiently similar - including, for example, downhill skiing - record your workout under "Other".

This credits one minute of Exercise for each full minute of the workout. Active calories for Other workouts are estimated at a rate equivalent to a brisk walk or based on data recorded by the heart rate sensor, whichever is higher.

Note that tracking can be affected during a workout if your watch loses contact with your skin. Better contact with your skin may also improve heart rate sensor performance during your workout. Apple suggests that you consider tightening your band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards.

For any activities that involve flexing your wrists, it may also help to move your watch a little higher up your arm, away from the flexing joint. Also keep in mind that the heart rate sensor is likely to give better results for workouts that involve rhythmic (eg running) rather than irregular movements.

More information:

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

About workout types

2. Activity tracking

If the Activity app is not performing as expected, then the following steps may help:

On your iPhone in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Passcode > check that Wrist Detection is turned on.

• Note that Wrist Detection can be affected by temporary or permanent skin changes, such as by some wrist tattoos.

If Passcode is enabled, check that you are unlocking your watch each day after placing it on your wrist and that you are wearing your watch sufficiently snugly (neither too tightly nor too loosely).

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, to go: My Watch > Health.

• Check that your personal information is accurate.
  • If the setting for Wheelchair currently states "Not Set", then tap on Edit (upper-right) > tap on "Not Set" and change it to "No" (options are shown in the bottom area of the screen) > tap on Done (upper-right).

On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness - check that both Fitness Tracking and Health are enabled.

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Privacy > Motion & Fitness - turn Fitness Tracking off.

Restart both devices by turning both off together, then restarting your iPhone first:

Re-enable Fitness Tracking.

It may also help to calibrate your Apple Watch, including resetting any existing calibration data:

In readiness for calibrating, on your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:

• Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
  • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
  • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

• Reset your calibration data and calibrate your Apple Watch afresh:

If the issue persists, then the following further steps may help:

Close certain apps and then restart (normally) both your iPhone and your Apple Watch:

If the issue persists, then it may help to unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

If the issue then still persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

5 replies
    Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 8:43 AM in response to Wildebill

Hi

1. Downhill Skiing

The built-in Workout app on Apple Watch does not include downhill skiing as a main activity type (this was not added as part of watchOS 4.2) , but workouts for activities that are not included within the main activity types can still be named using a choice of labelling options, which do include Downhill Skiing.

For workouts that are neither included within nor sufficiently similar to the main activity types - including downhill skiing - record your workout by selecting "Other" as the activity type.

Upon ending the workout, tap on the option to Name Workout. Available labels include Downhill Skiing.

"Other" workouts that have previously been named will become available to repeat within the Workout app, complete with their previously selected naming label.

If you would like to submit a feature request to Apple for downhill skiing to be added as a main activity type, complete with custom calorie estimations, then you can do so here:

Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

(You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community).

More information:

When recording a workout via the Workout app, choosing the activity type that most closely matches your workout enables Apple Watch to use the most appropriate sensors and data sources when estimating the results, including using tailored calorie calculations for preset activity types.

For activities that are not included within the list or that are not sufficiently similar - including, for example, downhill skiing - record your workout under "Other".

This credits one minute of Exercise for each full minute of the workout. Active calories for Other workouts are estimated at a rate equivalent to a brisk walk or based on data recorded by the heart rate sensor, whichever is higher.

Note that tracking can be affected during a workout if your watch loses contact with your skin. Better contact with your skin may also improve heart rate sensor performance during your workout. Apple suggests that you consider tightening your band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards.

For any activities that involve flexing your wrists, it may also help to move your watch a little higher up your arm, away from the flexing joint. Also keep in mind that the heart rate sensor is likely to give better results for workouts that involve rhythmic (eg running) rather than irregular movements.

More information:

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

About workout types

2. Activity tracking

If the Activity app is not performing as expected, then the following steps may help:

On your iPhone in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Passcode > check that Wrist Detection is turned on.

• Note that Wrist Detection can be affected by temporary or permanent skin changes, such as by some wrist tattoos.

If Passcode is enabled, check that you are unlocking your watch each day after placing it on your wrist and that you are wearing your watch sufficiently snugly (neither too tightly nor too loosely).

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, to go: My Watch > Health.

• Check that your personal information is accurate.
    • If the setting for Wheelchair currently states "Not Set", then tap on Edit (upper-right) > tap on "Not Set" and change it to "No" (options are shown in the bottom area of the screen) > tap on Done (upper-right).

On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness - check that both Fitness Tracking and Health are enabled.

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Privacy > Motion & Fitness - turn Fitness Tracking off.

Restart both devices by turning both off together, then restarting your iPhone first:

Re-enable Fitness Tracking.

It may also help to calibrate your Apple Watch, including resetting any existing calibration data:

In readiness for calibrating, on your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:

• Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
    • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
  • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

• Reset your calibration data and calibrate your Apple Watch afresh:

If the issue persists, then the following further steps may help:

Close certain apps and then restart (normally) both your iPhone and your Apple Watch:

If the issue persists, then it may help to unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

If the issue then still persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Dec 13, 2017 2:49 PM in response to Edumacotruck

Edumacotruck wrote:

Hi my Apple Watch is 1st generation 38mm. I updated it and I have a red icon shown on the face and demand that I visit www.appl.com/help/watch which I have done but no useful information who know what I should do to solve this issue

If you are seeing a red "!" on the screen of your Apple watch, you need to contact Support. See this support document for additional information. If you see a red "!" on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Problems with Apple Watch after upgrading to 4.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.