Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suspicious e-mails from Apple locking my account

I have started receiving what I think are suspicious e-mails asking me to verify my account with Apple. It states someone has tried to log into my account from another state and there's a button to click to verify my account. When I use this button, I'm taken to what looks like an Apple webpage. The reason I'm suspicious is because the e-mail text isn't grammatically correct. See below:

Our support team detect unauthorised person has accessed your account and now your account access has been locked for security measures, you must update your account information and reset your account password info.

If you do not update your account within 24 hours (from opening this email) it will be Temporary Locked,

Also at the beginning of the e-mail it states for my protection my account is automatically locked. But if I search for Apple.com, I can log in with my current password.

Who can I check with to see if this is real?

Thanks for your time.

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 10:11 AM

They aren't from Apple, they don't send emails like that (and any emails would be grammatically correct, and addressed to you), they're phishing emails - you could forward them to Apple : reportphishing@apple.com , and then delete them.

Phishing and similar emails : Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Genuine iTunes emails : Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 10:11 AM in response to zoom8646

They aren't from Apple, they don't send emails like that (and any emails would be grammatically correct, and addressed to you), they're phishing emails - you could forward them to Apple : reportphishing@apple.com , and then delete them.

Phishing and similar emails : Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Genuine iTunes emails : Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store - Apple Support

Suspicious e-mails from Apple locking my account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.