Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are there two Live Photos albums in Photos?

If I open Photos and scroll through albums there is a Live Photos album at the top, that has seven images. If I scroll down into My Albums a little lower there is another Live Photos album, with five images. I didn't create either Live Photos album. They were created by the application. Why do I see two of them in iOS Photos with different content?

The same thing happens with Favorites. There's one at the top that has one image and seems to be syncing across devices, and then there's another Favorites under My Albums, which is not syncing to watchOS. On the top Favorites, with the single image, syncs to watchOS.

Does anyone know what's going on here, and what's supposed to be going on here? These applications make no sense whatsoever.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), Late 2016 15" 2.7 GHz i7 16 GB RAM

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 4:40 AM

I meant no offence, by asking about the forum, sorry Tom, but I cannot tell from the post, if it has been relocated. We are occasionally having questions relocated to Photos iOS, as soon as an OP mentions an iPhone or an iPad, even if it is a genuin Photos for Mac question.

I can no longer test this on my iPhone, Tom, because I switched back to syncing with iCloud Photo Library, after I received the iPhone X with 256B storage.

But the last sync with iTunes showed the same strange list of albums in "my Albums" as you are seeing. I had set the sync options in iTunes to "Selected Albums" and "Sync only Favorites", and this created many duplicates of the predefined albums in the My Albums section. The syncing created a second "Panoramic" album, a second Favorites album, a second Selfie album. Plus many additional People albums. The result looked like iTunes had synced "All Favorites", not only the Favorites from the selected albums.

Does anyone know what's going on here, and what's supposed to be going on here? These applications make no sense whatsoever.

Since iOS 10 there is no decent documentation any longer, on how iTunes Photo Sync is supposed to work withe IOS 10 an 11. I tried to find out by trial and error, but the results are quite random. My iPad with iOS 9 is still syncing well, when I sync it with iTunes on macOS Sierra, and I do not see duplicate albums.

This document used to include a paragraph on how the synced albums and folders will appear on an iOS device, but the paragraph has been removed: Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices - Apple Support

It does no longer say anything at all about the synced album structure.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 4:40 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I meant no offence, by asking about the forum, sorry Tom, but I cannot tell from the post, if it has been relocated. We are occasionally having questions relocated to Photos iOS, as soon as an OP mentions an iPhone or an iPad, even if it is a genuin Photos for Mac question.

I can no longer test this on my iPhone, Tom, because I switched back to syncing with iCloud Photo Library, after I received the iPhone X with 256B storage.

But the last sync with iTunes showed the same strange list of albums in "my Albums" as you are seeing. I had set the sync options in iTunes to "Selected Albums" and "Sync only Favorites", and this created many duplicates of the predefined albums in the My Albums section. The syncing created a second "Panoramic" album, a second Favorites album, a second Selfie album. Plus many additional People albums. The result looked like iTunes had synced "All Favorites", not only the Favorites from the selected albums.

Since iOS 10 there is no decent documentation any longer, on how iTunes Photo Sync is supposed to work withe IOS 10 an 11. I tried to find out by trial and error, but the results are quite random. My iPad with iOS 9 is still syncing well, when I sync it with iTunes on macOS Sierra, and I do not see duplicate albums.

This document used to include a paragraph on how the synced albums and folders will appear on an iOS device, but the paragraph has been removed: Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices - Apple Support

It does no longer say anything at all about the synced album structure.

Dec 12, 2017 10:59 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Are you asking about Photos on a Mac or Photos on an iPhone or iPad? Your profile signature says "MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2),", but the question says iOS and you posted in the Photo for iOS forum for Photos on an iPhone or iPad or other iOS devices.

On an iPhone or iPad you might create duplicate albums by syncing photos to the device with iTunes on a Mac . Them you might create additional albums in the My Album section.

Are you syncing your devices with iCloud Photo Library or with iTunes?

Dec 12, 2017 11:22 AM in response to léonie

I'm asking about Photos in iOS, which is why I posted here.

You can only display one device in the profile signature, and it's a pain to switch around.

I sync with iTunes.

Why would you have additional albums in My Albums in iOS Photos which the user hasn't created. I created no albums for Favorites, Live Photos, Selfies, Panoramas. for Screenshots, but they're all appearing as if I created them, and they were all created by Photos.

In Mac Photos there is only one set these. Favorites is only listed at the top under library, the others like Selfies and Panoramas are listed under a separate section called Albums, and below that is My Albums, where none off these things appear, though that's where they are in iOS Photos, in the section marked My Albums.

The most annoying thing is the the single image Favorites, that appears at the top of iOS Photos, is also the only Favorites that syncs to watchOS so I only get a single image there.

P.S. I don't understand why in iOS Photos, the Favorites under My Albums only show some of the images.

Dec 13, 2017 3:42 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

P.S. I don't understand why in iOS Photos, the Favorites under My Albums only show some of the images.

The iTunes synced photos are not added to the camera roll, but treated differently when we want to edit them. I find it quite convenient, that the favorites in the camera roll appear in a different album from the synced photos in the "from My Mac" albums.

Why are there two Live Photos albums in Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.