Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15 inch Mid 2014 – turns off unexpectedly

Hi guys, hope some of you can help.

Every 15 to 40 minutes my MacBook Pro turns the screen black and then switches off unexpectedly.

This started happening after the installation of MacOS High Sierra.

I formated my SSD drive and installed High Sierra anew in hope to fix the issue but it still happening.

I does happen on battery and on power.

Very interestingly, there is no issue when I play Cities Skylines (a hugely demanding game). I can spend hours playing without any issue.

However, the mac turns off unexpectedly when I use basic tasks like browsing the web with safari or working with spreadsheets.

I recently installed Amphetamine app (from the mac app store) to keep the computer awake, thinking the sleep mode may be causing the issue, but without any luck.

Can anyone help, should I switch back to MacOS Sierra?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), null

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 11:51 AM

2 replies

Dec 13, 2017 1:47 PM in response to varnenche

Hi varnenche!

I understand that your MacBook Pro is turning off unexpectedly, and I'm happy to help. It sounds like you may be experiencing kernel panics, and this support article will be your best resource for helping to isolate the cause of this issue:

OS X: When your computer spontaneously restarts or displays "Your computer restarted because of a problem."

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Dec 14, 2017 2:29 AM in response to raina_b22

Hi, thank you for your message. I’m afraid that does not seems to be the issue I’m having.

The kernel panic screen never appeared and the MacBook did not restart and the Report error message never appeared after switching the computer back on.

I did the first aid permissions repair and then checked the hardware with holding cmd + d — no problems were found in any of the cases.

I booked an appointment at the Apple store today. I will keep you posted.

MacBook Pro 15 inch Mid 2014 – turns off unexpectedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.