Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hows to prevent a major update install?

Since the 10.13.2 upgrade, I've played havoc for the last week with it corrupting my boot drive. I've had to perform stupid magic to reformat, fsck, recover for 8 hours several times and my restore is always back to 10.13.1... But, as soon as I login, system shows the 10.13.2 update sitting there wanting me to install it. I don't want to install it. I've turned auto-updates OFF in the APP's section but once that update is THERE, the system wants to install it and at one point yesterday, no matter how many times I said LATER, it finally just upgraded it and then BAM... What directory is it in or what is the best way to get rid of it. HELP... BTW, horrible update...

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), 32Gb mem, 2Tb SSD, 3 - 4Tb ext drv

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 11:28 AM

2 replies

Dec 12, 2017 11:50 AM in response to Bueller

I've had no problem with it on three different machines. Sorry that you spent so much time without asking here first. We might have helped. I would suggest that you might try downloading and installing the macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Combo Update. See if that helps get your fixed up.

If you don't want automatic updates or upgrades then use App Store preferences to disable the options. Downloaded updates/upgrades are put in the /Library/Updates/ folder. Once the update/upgrade is completed the actual download is deleted.

If the Combo Updater doesn't help then see the following. If you get that far you can obviously skip Step 7.

Possible Fixes for El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

Be sure to backup your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.
  2. Resetting your Mac’s PRAM and NVRAM
  3. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  4. Start the computer in Safe Mode, then restart normally. This is slower than a standard startup.
  5. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  6. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  7. Download and install theOS X El Capitan 10.11.6 ComboUpdate or 10.12.6 Combo Update or macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Combo Update as needed.
  8. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Reinstall OS X then click on the Continue button.
  9. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.
  3. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  4. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Dec 12, 2017 12:21 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy... Thanks. There are so many things I've done the last few days. Feel like I was being forced to be an old UNIX Sysadmin from the early 80's at AT&T all over again. Anyway, I'm sure I made a lot of mistakes, took way too much for granted but for about the 3rd time, I'm back to 10.13.1 and of course seeing the plethora of "Month 13 is out of bounds" filling up my log files which all started on Dec 1 so I'm told. Right after that the 13.2 upgrade came in, it corrupted my SSD.. I first tried to reinstall reinstall my OS and it defaulted way back to OSX Lion. Bad JuJu there. Finally used my wife's system to create me a bootable drive with 12.1 that I was finally able to boot MY Mac to but by then I had no idea that my dang boot drive was corrupted. So, fsck and reboot and recover several times till I got all my ducks in a row. I just know on my Mac, 13.2 is a major no no. I kept thinking we'd see a fix for the "Month 13" but nothing. I had so many of those errors that my log files were filling up so fast my TM was making full backups every hour of the day and pushing GOOD backups off the back of the list. I see a slew of folks having the same problem as me, not on just this forum but other forums yet personally, I've not see Apple come up with a fix. Would be different if it was just ME, but appears a really large amount started having the first of december with the "Month 13" going nuts and then the 13.2 crashing their systems. I appreciate you providing the location of the UPDATE files/directories. I've temporarily moved them to a sub-folder till something better comes along and like I mentioned, I've turned all UPDATES off for the short term. Just no reason so many of us are having these problems recently with no real feedback or updates from the Gods... -- Thanks again!! Much appreciated compadre...

Hows to prevent a major update install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.