Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDF colors in Preview

Hello, I'm working on a packaging design using Illustrator, InDesign, and Preview. I'm running OS 10.12.6, and Preview 9.0.

I have a number of labels in different colors that I export as high quality PDFs to send to print. Until now, I've made about 10 different labels with different background colors and overlapping transparent gradients. For all of the previous designs, the output PDF matches the InDesign files with proof colors on, which is great and to be expected. For many of them, I have already seen physical printed copies that are true to the Id files and the PDFs (as true as one can expect a printed product to be to an image on a monitor).

The latest label uses a purple background. When I export the file as a high quality PDF and open it in preview, the purple is noticeably darker than it is on Id with proof colors selected. Dark enough that it affects the overlaid gradients and the overall look of the label, muddying all the colors. Oddly, when I open the same exact PDF in Acrobat, I see a lighter purple that is true to the Id file.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any insight. Which PDF is "correct?" Which can I expect the printed product to be true to? I am experienced with prepping products for print and understand color profiles and gamut in a general sense. I don't mean that I expect the printed version to be perfectly true to anything displayed on my monitor, but which "version" of this PDF will can I expect the printed product to attempt to recreate?

Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 11:38 AM

There are no replies.

PDF colors in Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.