Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Getting momentary freeze/jump video/audio on playback after creating DVD Share when original timeline does not have these issues. Running FCP 10.3.4 on High Sierra. How do I get a clean DVD file using Share?

Getting momentary freeze/jump video/audio on playback after creating DVD Share when original timeline does not have these issues. Running FCP 10.3.4 on High Sierra. How do I get a clean DVD file using Share?

Final Cut Pro X, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on

Dec 12, 2017 3:22 PM in response to RichKuntz In response to RichKuntz

Where did you get this playback issue?

On your mac? Some DVD player?

Is the issue always on the same frames?

Did you try on a different player?

Try exporting as a disk image and playing that back in DVD Player application on your mac. Does it play correctly?

Dec 12, 2017 3:22 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 12, 2017 4:02 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1 In response to Luis Sequeira1

Hangup occurs on same frame (around minute 45 of 70 min project). Have tried multiple burn attempts and multiple DVD players. Same problem. Exported as disk image to hard drive, which I then burned onto DVD, and same problem. Opened a case with Apple FCP support. They have me exporting the Master File to my hard drive to ensure that FCP is operating properly and that the problem might be with my SuperDrive. We'll see.

Dec 12, 2017 4:02 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 15, 2017 9:41 AM in response to RichKuntz In response to RichKuntz

Looks like the problem might be with the Blu Ray players' ability to read user-created double layer DVDs. When I play the disc on an old MacBook I have with internal DVD drive, playback is fine. It's the same if I Share to the hard disc on my MacPro and then playback through the DVD app. But, both of my Blu Ray players (different manufacturers) show the same freeze/skip problem at the exact same point. Looks like it appears right at a chapter break too. So, the problem is most likely with the Blu Ray reading and not the FCP Share or SuperDrive burn.

Dec 15, 2017 9:41 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 15, 2017 4:24 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1 In response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks. Kind of dilutes the power of FCP though if there are ultimately playback problems in the longer projects where there's a need for disc so can play on higher def systems than smartphones or tablets through sharing to social sites. Also could have saved me a lot of wasted time and effort troubleshooting if the Apple FCP support team had mentioned this early on in my dialogue with them.

Dec 15, 2017 4:24 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 16, 2017 7:40 AM in response to RichKuntz In response to RichKuntz

It appears you are making a big misunderstanding.

DVD is NOT higher definition than your iPhone... quite the reverse.

If you want to share in high definition, a DVD sure is not what you want.

You are taking gorgeous HD or 4K recordings and smashing them into SD 720x480 last century technology...

If you want to show material in great quality on a large modern TV, then you can use real BluRay if you insist on discs (but then need a BluRay burner for your mac), or... forgo discs altogether. Discs are so 20th century.

Any modern TV has a USB port where you can attach a thumb drive or a hard drive and play your high quality video; or if you have a "smart" tv you can upload to vimeo or youtube in 4K and play it.

Dec 16, 2017 7:40 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 16, 2017 8:29 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1 In response to Luis Sequeira1

Sorry - wrong choice of word. Screen size and sound quality are the main reasons for opting to burn onto disc. Most of the folks who will view this particular project are not tech savy (it's an age thing), and don't have smart TVs - some don't even have TVs with USB ports (or an understanding of how to use it even if there is one). I needed to go with the least common denominator, but will still post to YouTube for those that I don't need to handhold through how to access. I don't see any reason to get a BluRay burner since I agree with you that discs are so last century. Thanks for all the help.

Dec 16, 2017 8:29 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: RichKuntz

Question: Getting momentary freeze/jump video/audio on playback after creating DVD Share when original timeline does not have these issues. Running FCP 10.3.4 on High Sierra. How do I get a clean DVD file using Share?