Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download El Capitan Issue

I am trying to download El Capitan to an external drive and keep getting this:

OS X can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because the version of macOS is too new.

Wondering how I can get around this? I am trying to use El Capitan with some of my dated apps which High Sierra doesn't work with. I have partitioned the external drive but not sure how to get the download to work with the external hard drive. Any ideas would be appreciated.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13), MacPro Dual-Core, 2.66 GHz

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 10:58 AM

You will get that message when trying to install an older OS whilst booted from a newer OS.

So make a bootable USB for El Capitan, see these instructions from Apple and make sure you use the commands for El Capitan, How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support or use this, http://diskmakerx.com/

Then boot from the USB using System Preferences> Startup Disk and then install El Capitan on your external drive.

Beforehand make sure your external drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on a GUID Partition Map Scheme.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 10:58 AM in response to marti153

You will get that message when trying to install an older OS whilst booted from a newer OS.

So make a bootable USB for El Capitan, see these instructions from Apple and make sure you use the commands for El Capitan, How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support or use this, http://diskmakerx.com/

Then boot from the USB using System Preferences> Startup Disk and then install El Capitan on your external drive.

Beforehand make sure your external drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on a GUID Partition Map Scheme.

Dec 12, 2017 1:20 PM in response to marti153

If you had at a previous time downloaded El C it will be available for download in your Purchases section of the App Store.

As you have High Sierra you will be denied the download of El C. If you have a mac that can download El C or have a friends mac that can you can then transfer the Install Mac OS X El Capitan.app from the Applications folder to the mac you want to apply it to.

Download El Capitan Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.