Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook

How can I log on to my MacBook if I’ve forgotten username. MacBook is from 09 / 10

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 1:44 PM

7 replies

Dec 12, 2017 2:44 PM in response to Cfshaw

Try this:

How to Create a New User Account if You Cannot Access Your Admin Account

Reboot the computer. At the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-S keys to start into Single-user Mode. You will boot to a black screen with scrolling white text, release the keys and wait until it finishes. Enter the following lines at the command prompt pressing RETURN after each:

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

reboot

After you reboot the computer you will be taken to the Setup Assistant. When you get to the point where you are asked to set up your new user account, create a new admin account. Be sure to name this user account something different than the admin user account that already exists on the system. When you finish the Setup Assistant, it will automatically log you into the new account.

You can transfer your files from the old account to the new one. See Transferring files from one User Account to another. Once you have moved all your files into your new account, you can delete the old account using Accounts or Users & Groups preferences.

Dec 12, 2017 3:23 PM in response to Cfshaw

Did each command line run OK or return errors? You could try what's in here: How To Create A New Administrator Account - Hack Mac.

The last thing should have removed your setup is done flag forcing the computer to boot into the Setup Assistant so you could create a new account. If you type it in then you may have made an error with spaces not included. The first line is "mount -uw /" with a space after "mount" and another after "-uw." The second line has a space after "rm" and a period (dot) at the beginning of applesetupdone.

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

reboot

Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.