Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit no longer accessible from IOS 11.2 outside the WiFi network .

Problem just started with ios11.2 on my iPhones I have 2 appleTV Gen3 setup on same iCloud account as the HomeKit dedicated iPhone . All was working fine for 1+ year until this last upgrade 11.2 . The iOS iPhone says that both hubs are disconnected and when I turn off WiFi I have no access to HomeKit . Another clue . My iPad is not on 11.2 and can access the Hubs and HomeKit devices both internally On WiFi as well as LTE . Clearly something is wrong . If signed off the ATV3 and back logged in and still no access ! Any clues ?

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 4:37 AM

I have the same problem with Ikea Tradfri - when I turn off Wifi on iPhone, all accessories report: No response

Seems like remote control isn't working anymore.

I have Apple TV 4K as home hub and appears with HomeKit enabled.

28 replies

Dec 14, 2017 5:33 AM in response to Brent_S

Nope ... didn’t work for me either 11.2.1 :(

I think the Problem is with ATV3 and the fact that the hub is no longer communicating . I have 5 ATV3 in the house ... two of them are used as hubs with the same iCloud account for HomeKit .. on my iPhone on iOS 11.2 ans 11.2.1 it shows in the status (while on WiFi ) that the HUBS are not communicating ... leading me to believe something finally was done to HomeKit and iOS .

Also ... I noticed that a scheduled event is still triggers on a pre DST fall change ( ie 10.30p instead of 11.30 p ) . If changed the event time , deleted it and recreated it ) and there is a ghost event triggering still . It’s annoyingly because the household lights go off too early .

I think it’s somehow related (I don’t know why )

Dec 18, 2017 2:58 AM in response to SergeAza

I just bought an Eve Energy power point and it works remotely, so the problem isn't actually Apple Home, but my IKEA Tradfri hub - doesn't seem to be able to communicate with Apple TV when I am away from home.

I hope they fix it with the next firmware, but I can confirm Apple Home is working for Eve Energy with remote control.

Dec 18, 2017 6:53 AM in response to tomitzel

Hi All

I still have the issue with 11.2 and 11.2.1 with ATV3 .

I have power switchers from 4 different brands including a Phillips Hue hub and ALL have the same problem ! Can’t access them .

They all show no connection .

Furthermore while on WiFi when I click on the arrow to show home hubs ... BOTH hubs show disconnected . Usually only one at a time is connected . I have 2 configured for a backup .

I think apple Killed the ATV3 .

Jan 6, 2018 6:13 AM in response to SergeAza

i have the same problem. before ios 11.2 everything worked perfectly.

now with 11.2 and 11.2.1(Yes they did not fix a thing) al my guest users show homehub not connected but al the lights are accessable

the main account works both locaslly and remote while logged in the ATV3.

now the discovery

when you log out of the appletv3 all the guest accounts turn back to normal without the homehub not connected error

they can not access anything remote but locally it works.

So

ATV3 logged IN with main account

Main account works locally and remote

guest account works locally with homehub not connected error but not remote

ATV3 logged OUT with main account

Main account works locally and NOT REMOTE

guest account works locally WITHOUT connected error but NOT remote

it seems that the guest account no longer share the homehub but try to use it themselfs(which obvilously does not work when the are not logged in themselfs)

please fix this Apple and please do not tell us this is a feature (which does not work anymore on the ATV3) because we are not gonna buy a new ATV4 or higher for this

Jan 16, 2018 12:25 AM in response to GravityZ

I am having this issue now on 11.2.2 seems to have just started.

I’ve tried every recommendation listed so Iam right there with everyone.

I have Philips hue lights using an AT3 as a hub. Everything is fine I’m HomeKit so long as I am at home on my network just can’t get off the network and still use HomeKit.

Recently I had added an amazon echo and a google home mini to test them out, I used them with the hue’s but I have disconnected both of them and reset all the setting on all devices and the issue still persists.

Jan 16, 2018 12:31 AM in response to SergeAza

Dear all,

In iOS 11.2 Apple closed off the function to access home accessories using devices as hub on LTE or cellular outside of the WiFi network. This was because the discovered a way in which when this was enabled there was a way to access devices even if not in your setup meaning people could open doors and turn on/off lights and other accessories in other peoples houses. This is enabled again in iOS 11.2.5. To be able to access your HomeKit devices outside of your WiFi your softwares must be updated to IOS 11.2.5. Hope this helps!

Jan 16, 2018 9:15 AM in response to McLeod78

Hi All

The Problem is deeper now ! I “as a guest “

Can no longer join the group . Because of all the shananigans of 11.2 in”uninvited “myself to try solving the issue . Then have the “Familly generic “ owner account invite me ! I get the invite pop up , I accept ... but it spins for a while then says I cannot join the HomeKit .

Apple has an open case where they have been working with me since late Dec .

They suggested a few things that didn’t work . The problem is clearly at Apple on the HomeKit cloud servers !

I am now unable to control anything in my house and have to ask other Familly members to do it for me ! I no longer say “hey Siri “‘now I say “ hey daughter “

Or “hey wife “ !

They suggested everyone upgrades to 11.2 .2 but my daughter refuses to have her iPhone 6s slow down to a crawl she is on a 10.x.. but that is irrelevant as she is in the group and controls things from phone or watch !

I’ve invited others to group as well and it doesn’t work for them either !

As far as hubs we use 2 of the ATV3 ... and a spare iPhone logged into the « generic Familly ICloud account “ as nobody wants to be the owner of the HomeKit .

Jan 16, 2018 9:16 AM in response to tomitzel

Hi All

The Problem le is deeper now ! I “as a guest “

Can no longer join the group . Because of all the shananigans of 11.2 in”uninvited “myself to try solving the issue . Then have the “Familly generic “ owner account invite me ! I get the invite pop up , I accept ... but it spins for a while then says I cannot join the HomeKit .

Apple has an open case where they have been working with me since late Dec .

They suggested a few things that didn’t work . The problem is clearly at Apple on the HomeKit cloud servers !

I am now unable to control anything in my house and have to ask other Familly members to do it for me ! I no longer say “hey Siri “‘now I say “ hey daughter “

Or “hey wife “ !

They suggested everyone upgrades to 11.2 .2 but my daughter refuses to have her iPhone 6s slow down to a crawl she is on a 10.x.. but that is irrelevant as she is in the group and controls things from phone or watch !

I’ve invited others to group as well and it doesn’t work for them either !

As far as hubs we use 2 of the ATV3 ... and a spare iPhone logged into the « generic Familly ICloud account “ as nobody wants to be the owner of the HomeKit .

Jan 16, 2018 11:21 AM in response to SergeAza

They disabled invite and also use outside of network I think. It seems like you will have to wait for the public IOS 11.2.5 release as currently it is only in beta for developers. I use homekit with Phillips hue lights too and on the developer profile with IOS 11.2.5 it works fine for me - did not work at all on IOS 11.2.2. What do you use homekit with - is there any 3rd party application for the lighting or accessory which works?

Jan 16, 2018 11:20 AM in response to tylercharlie118

you are right the 11.2 shutting of remote access but you are wrong that apple fixed it

it is not fixed in 11.2.1 and not in 11.2.2

if you are telling me it is fixed in 11.2.5(which is not public but beta) and you are right it still means apple did not fix it in 11.2.1 which they said they did.

unbelievable that the can sacrew up things so easy but taking montch and multiple to fix it(if it ever get fixed for the ATV3)

Feb 2, 2018 7:43 AM in response to Mintjulepcat

the same here.

with 11.2.1/11.2.2 i did not have any problems as the home owner(only the guests)

now with 11.2.5 i have problems that the appleTV is not recognised

icloud logged in on the ATV3

logging out and logging in again might help but i already did that serveral times and it seems it will not stick.

i also have a case running with apple support and send them a logfile

they seem to think that there is an option to give guests remote access or not but that option is gone in my setup.

i can only grant guests access or not

when clicking on the guest there is no remote option available.

Homekit should get better over time, not worse

also noticed i have severe battery drain after upgrading to 11.2.5.

i know the stories about battery drain after upgrading but this is the firsrt time ever i experienced it.

Feb 2, 2018 7:52 AM in response to GravityZ

Hello all folks with ATV3 ! Stop tying to figure out the problem ... Apple has discontinued the use of ATV3 ! I had 2 of them logged in the iCloud account but it didn’t work after 11.2 11.2.2 and 11.2.5 .

Could no longer ADD guests in my case myself , as we are all guest of the Familly account manager . Even 11.2.5 didn’t allow me to add myself back .

I have been working with Apple since early December , but I realized something on 11.2.5 !

IT SAYS SPECIFICALLY , you Need and IPaD or ATV4 to ADD or manage an appliance ..

So for a few hours I sacrificed my iPad Air 2 , signed off my account and logged in the Familly manager account ! WOW ... immediatly was accepted as a guest , and IPaD acted as a home hub ! Shoeing both ATV3 as hubs but inactive ...

truth ... get a spare iPad that can run current iOS or an ATV4 ... I dont need to buy a new ATV as we already own 5 of them ATV3 ... BUT that’s your answer !

100% tested and troubleshooting by myself . I reported back to Apple CS who has been helping for 1 month and they kinda admired it could be the problem, but Apple development would Not tell them anything .

Hope this helps ... to all frustrated folks like me who have been in limbo for 1 month !

Good luck

HomeKit no longer accessible from IOS 11.2 outside the WiFi network .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.