Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Photos while importing photos the following message appears "ERROR: The file “IMG_1763.JPG” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it."

Greetings!

I have macOS High Sierra (10.13.1) and have a large number of photos in an external drive.

I am trying to import those photos into a new library in Photos app Version 3.0 (3231.11.210), however the following message per imported image keeps appears:

"ERROR: The file “IMG_1763.JPG” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it." (see screenshot)

User uploaded file

While inspecting the log console event file I have the following error:

"ERROR: The file “IMG_1763.JPG” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it. (, path: /Volumes/Photo Album/IMG_1763.JPG), file: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/PhotoApp/PhotoApp-3231.11.210/l ib/redrock/Import/ImportAsset.m, line: 1048"

I am the admin go my computer.

I have already tried change the "Sharing & Permissions" access to all enclosing items (in the finder info dialog).

In terminal I tried the command "chown -v -R <MY ADMIN USER> ."

All this with no success...

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), null

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 4:55 PM

In Finder go to the Go menu > Go to folder (command-shift-G)

Copy/paste /Volumes/Photo Album/IMG_1763.JPG

Then select the file, command-I, or Edit > Get Info

Check the permissions at the bottom of the Get Info window.

16 replies

Jan 9, 2018 2:01 PM in response to ThePeewee69

I have the same error while importing to Photos on macOS 10.13.2.

I am the computer admin.

I have tried:

- Selecting folder > get info > give 'read & write' permissions to Me, staff, everyone + 'apply to enclosed items'

- Selecting an individual file > get info > give 'read & write' permissions to Me, staff, everyone (the file still won't import)

- chmod -R 0755 /dir

Any other ideas here?

In Photos while importing photos the following message appears "ERROR: The file “IMG_1763.JPG” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.