Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine / Several Macs.

I have a simple question concerning time machine.

When using Time Machine, is it possible (impossible, recommended, not recommended) to backup several computers on the same hard disk?

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 4:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 10:14 PM

If it's a USB disk drive, yeah all you have to do is disconnect it by ejecting from one computer and connecting it to another. Time Machine will automatically back up different machines to different folders on the disk.

Make sure there is enough free space for more than one machine. Command-I on the disk to see available space.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 10:14 PM in response to Hx88Yellow

If it's a USB disk drive, yeah all you have to do is disconnect it by ejecting from one computer and connecting it to another. Time Machine will automatically back up different machines to different folders on the disk.

Make sure there is enough free space for more than one machine. Command-I on the disk to see available space.

Time machine / Several Macs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.