Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP13'' Drains Faster After Update To High Sierra

As title. The laptop doesn't perform better as the update notification claimed. Quite the opposite, it drains my battery super fast. It was 6 hours before update, but now it only last 1 hour. Feel angry about the update. I will not update if I knew this, and Apple never let you downgrade to previous OS. Same for my iPhone.

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.1.2, retina display. bough in 2014 June

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 5:31 PM

1 reply

Dec 13, 2017 2:33 PM in response to smallduck

Hello smallduck,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're running into some trouble with the battery life on your MacBook Pro after updating, and I have some information that may help.

Have a look at the article below for some helpful tips on maximizing battery performance.

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple
If the issue persists, it may help to follow this guidance as well:

My battery runtime is low

1. Wait until your Mac is finished with initial setup. When you use your Mac for the first time, activities like setting up Mail and Photos, migrating your iCloud content, and indexing your files with Spotlight use more power than your Mac requires in general use. If you have a large amount of data to transfer, it can take several days before your battery life returns to average daily use.
  2. Identify what the battery life should be for the product you're using. The Tech Specs site provides Apple's battery life expectations for battery usage. The specifics for wireless web usage and standby time are included in the Tech Specs article for each product.
  3. Learn how to minimize common causes of battery drain:
  • Optimize your battery life using the Optimizing Battery Life section earlier in this article.
  • Learn how apps can affect Mac battery performance. Some applications—such as browsers, video editing software, and video games—require more power based on how you're using them. Check regularly for updates to your software—it's important to use the latest versions available.
  • Configure automated backup and sync software to run only when your computer is connected to a power source or to pause when your battery level drops below a certain percentage.
  • Check Activity Monitor for any malfunctioning software processes, especially after installing software updates or a new operating system. Installing updates is important to ensure optimal performance for all applications.
  • If you still have battery issues after optimizing your computer's performance and checking for malfunctioning software processes, test in Safe Mode. Safe Mode limits the active items on the system and allows testing in a more minimal environment. If the battery life is better in Safe Mode, you might need to do further software isolation for the items disabled by Safe Mode to determine what the power draw is while not operating in Safe Mode.

About Mac notebook batteries - Apple Support

If you run into any trouble, or if the symptoms persist, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

MBP13'' Drains Faster After Update To High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.