Related Article: If you forgot your Apple ID

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

activation lock

how can i get back into my sons disabled ipad when he cant remember the name he set up on his account and his apple id is that name @icloud.com

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 7:08 PM

5 replies

Dec 12, 2017 7:12 PM in response to gentille15

Activation Lock Problem

If you purchased the device second-hand, then it is useless without the Apple ID and password to which it is locked. If you don't have it, can't remember it or cannot get it, then the device is useless to you. Try to get your money refunded, if you can, or take it to an Apple store for an exchange provided they will help you. If you are the original owner then take the device, a copy of your purchase receipt and identity proof to an Apple retailer where they may be able to assist you.

Find My iPhone Activation Lock

If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support

Your only other option is to erase the device and restore it as new.

If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple

How to erase your iOS device & then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

If the above doesnt work for you, then:

Follow these steps to place your iOS device into recovery mode. If your iOS device is already in recovery mode, you can proceed immediately to step 6.

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and leave

one end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.

2. Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds

until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to turn off.

* If you cannot turn off the device using the slider, press and hold the

Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. When the device turns off,

release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons.

3. While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the

device. The device should turn on. Note: If you see the battery charge warning,

let the device charge for at least ten minutes, and then start with step 2 again.

4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen.

When this screen appears you can release the Home button:

5. If necessary, open iTunes. You should see the following "recovery mode" alert:

6. Use iTunes to restore the device.

If you don't see the "Connect to iTunes" screen, try these steps again. If you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen but the device does not appear in iTunes, see this article and its related links.

Dec 12, 2017 7:13 PM in response to gentille15

Once your iPad is disabled, you are out of options. Your only choice is to restore it to new condition.

Connect the iPad to a computer with the latest version of iTunes running. Hold down the power button and the home button while the screen goes dark, and then the Apple appears and disappears and then the iTunes logo appears. Once the iTunes logo is on the screen of the iPad, you can let go of the buttons.

There is a prompt on the computer screen that says there is something wrong with the iPad. Select Restore and follow the prompts. This will erase the iPad, and you will lose all of your content and settings.

The iPad will be ready when it says hello on the iPad screen.

However, if the iPad is truly activation locked, that means that the 'Find My iPad' feature is turned on. The iPad would be useless until that feature is turned off. He would need to remember the name he used and log into icloud.com or another Apple device to turn it off.

Dec 12, 2017 7:19 PM in response to Stuart423

Is there any other way to find my Apple ID other then knowing the name on

the account... my son changed it to whatever “cool” name he thought was

good at the time and now doesn’t remember it and the email to the account

is the same as his Apple ID which we obviously already don’t know.... I

remember setting up some security questions for the account when we set it

up.. is there a way to recover account info with these security

questions...???

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 10:12 PM Apple Support Communities Updates <

Dec 12, 2017 7:26 PM in response to gentille15

The security questions would allow access to the Apple ID account, but you'd have to know what Apple ID account you were trying to access.

You can call Apple Support at 1-800-MY-APPLE and with enough information, possibly learn the Apple ID. You can also take the iPad and the original receipt, as well as a photo ID to the Apple Store, and they can help you get in touch with Apple Support from there.

activation lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.