Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete a song on the iPod itself!?

So I can't delete a song on the iPod itself!? I have thousands of songs on the player and every time I want to delete a song, I have to write the name of it on a piece of paper throughout the day at work and when I go home, connect the iPod to the computer, launch iTunes, get the list of the songs I want to delete and manually delete? And repeat this every day?

This is one of the unfriendliest designs I have ever encountered on a device.

iPad 2, iOS 5

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 6:03 AM

Here's a couple of methods that might make your task easier:

1. Make a note of the songs in the Notes app on the iPod Touch itself. No pen required, no scraps of paper to find then lose. - Or, even smarter than that:
  2. Keep the 1-star rating for the exclusive purpose of identifying songs that you want to remove from your iPod.
    1. Modify any existing 1-star ratings to something else.
    2. When you find a song on your iPod that you want to remove, give it a 1-star rating (on the iPod)
    3. Create a Smart Playlist in your iTunes Library that captures (lists) all 1-star rated songs.
    4. Each Sync of your iPod with iTunes will modify the star rating in your Library and any newly modified 1-star rated song will be added to your Smart Playlist
    5. Periodically, in your iTunes Library, review the 1-star rated Playlist and then remove them as required. Either
      1. permanently delete them from your Library, or
      2. un-tick the songs in your Library, and assuming you have selected Sync only ticked songs and videos, the next Sync will remove the songs form your device but keep them in your Library, in case you want to put them back on again.

If you need any more information on how to create the Smart Playlist, or turning on Sync only ticked songs and videos, don't hesitate to ask.

Here's another thought:-

Depending on how your use Playlists, it might even be possible to automatically remove the 1-star rated songs from the iPod at Sync time. For example, if you were to use Sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genres to put songs onto your iPod, you set iTunes to sync to your iPod only songs that have no rating or greater than 1-star rating. It might involve creating a Playlist such as: Playlist=Rating is less than 1-star, and Playlist=Rating is greater than 1-star. Then, if you change a song to 1-star, the next Sync would remove it from your iPod. How easy is that?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 6:03 AM in response to thenrich2009

Here's a couple of methods that might make your task easier:

1. Make a note of the songs in the Notes app on the iPod Touch itself. No pen required, no scraps of paper to find then lose. - Or, even smarter than that:
  2. Keep the 1-star rating for the exclusive purpose of identifying songs that you want to remove from your iPod.
    1. Modify any existing 1-star ratings to something else.
    2. When you find a song on your iPod that you want to remove, give it a 1-star rating (on the iPod)
    3. Create a Smart Playlist in your iTunes Library that captures (lists) all 1-star rated songs.
    4. Each Sync of your iPod with iTunes will modify the star rating in your Library and any newly modified 1-star rated song will be added to your Smart Playlist
    5. Periodically, in your iTunes Library, review the 1-star rated Playlist and then remove them as required. Either
      1. permanently delete them from your Library, or
      2. un-tick the songs in your Library, and assuming you have selected Sync only ticked songs and videos, the next Sync will remove the songs form your device but keep them in your Library, in case you want to put them back on again.

If you need any more information on how to create the Smart Playlist, or turning on Sync only ticked songs and videos, don't hesitate to ask.

Here's another thought:-

Depending on how your use Playlists, it might even be possible to automatically remove the 1-star rated songs from the iPod at Sync time. For example, if you were to use Sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genres to put songs onto your iPod, you set iTunes to sync to your iPod only songs that have no rating or greater than 1-star rating. It might involve creating a Playlist such as: Playlist=Rating is less than 1-star, and Playlist=Rating is greater than 1-star. Then, if you change a song to 1-star, the next Sync would remove it from your iPod. How easy is that?

Dec 16, 2017 3:19 AM in response to thenrich2009

Okay, so no Notes app, but you can still rate a song.

The method to rate a song differs according to which model on nano you have. Follow the instructions below the appropriate picture:

6th gen nano:

Here's the 6th generation nano:

User uploaded file

• Pictures 1, 2, 3 & 4 below refer (excuse the poor quality):
  • on the Now Playing screen (1.), tap the screen once to show the Play controls (2.)
  • On the Play controls screen (2.), tap thei symbol in the lower right corner
  • Picture 3. Ignore the fact that the top title says Out Of Africa- that's the album title. The five dots at the top of the screen can be tapped or wiped to allocate the rating you want to the song that is now playing.

User uploaded file

Wipe left and right across the dots to change the star rating, or simply tap the dot you prefer

User uploaded file

The song now has a rating of one star, which will be transferred back to your iTunes Library at the next Sync.

7th gen nano:

I don't have access to a 7th gen nano, so my instructions are brief, but it's similar to the older nano (above). Below is the 7th generation nano:

User uploaded file

Tap the Now Playing screen to display the controls overlay, as shown below:

User uploaded file

• Tap the menu button (arrowed in orange) to display the screen with the rating dots
  • Choose the rating by wiping across the dots or tapping the dot you want to use (as on the older nano)
  • Rating will be transferred back to your library at the next Sync

If your nano is earlier than these two, there will still be a way to rate a song, you just need to understand how to use the iPod.

Can't delete a song on the iPod itself!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.