Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

home sharing

Hi guys;

I've read through the solutions on the forum and I still have this issue.

Since upgrading to the latest iOS on my iPhone I now have the TV app

as opposed to the Videos App

And I can't stream any of my home shared home movies.

I have no drop down menu to select anything (I've read that other have this)

All the App says is

You don't have any videos.

Your iTunes purchases and rentals will appear here.

This has been a thorn for quite a while now.

Does anyone have an answer?

Drew

iPhone SE, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 8:22 PM

13 replies

Dec 12, 2017 9:32 PM in response to sberman

hi sberman

Thanks for the fast reply.

My region is still the same (just checked)

I tried switching countries and back and forth but still no luck.

I have to add that all other apple devices in the house can view and listen to home sharing

(iPods, iPhones, iPads, two Apple TVs, on and on)

Only my iPhone can't since the upgrade.

But i can stream the music to the music app just fine.

I'm on the same wifi, everything else checks out.

Any other solutions?

Drew

Dec 15, 2017 4:13 PM in response to Drew777

I have exactly the same issue. The new TV app, which has replaced the Videos app, does not appear to support Home Sharing. The Library tab states 'Your iTunes purchases and rentals will appear here'. I want to stream my own content, like I could with the Videos app, not iTunes store purchases. It's as though they've disabled the function to force buying content. I'm chatting to Apple support now but they don't seem to have a clue. I'll post back if I have any joy.

Dec 16, 2017 6:46 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Thanks Kirk, but I don't think you understand the problem. Home Sharing works just fine, my library shows up in the Music app. It's the TV app where the library does not appear. Essentially, the new TV app does appear to support Home Sharing, so you can't stream your own video/TV collection. I've used this facility for years without issue in the old Videos app.

Dec 16, 2017 7:36 AM in response to Rosstitute

Hi Rosstitute,

Yep, this is exactly my problem. Please don't think I'm happy you also have the problem when I say I'm glad someone has this issue as well. I've been on email and phone support and no one has been able to fix it.

Home sharing is a huge part to my home set up as we don't bother with TVs in the bedroom, just iPads etc.

Please post back when and if you get a response.

Thanks,

Drew

Dec 16, 2017 12:36 PM in response to Rosstitute

Hi Ross,

The tip for copying a tv show worked perfectly.

(I also noticed if I delete the tv show off the iPhone the links to the library go away and the problem comes back again)

Here's a curiosity. I put a TV show on and it worked. I could see all movies, tv shows etc.

When I deleted it (as I mentioned above) I put a different (smaller) show on.

The iPhone then only displayed my tv shows and not a link to my full library.

More weirdness it seems.

Clearly you're right and this is in need of a fix in the next release.

Thank you for following through with this.

I have to believe I'm not the only one that appreciates it.

edit: I don't want to mark this as "This solved my question" in case that ends the chat so I'm just marking them as "helpful" but clearly this is more than just helpful.

Drew

Dec 28, 2017 7:05 AM in response to Drew777

Thanks for the update Drew.

I did hear back from Apple last Saturday. They asked if I could fully restore my phone to see if it fixed the fault. I politely declined as I wasn’t prepared to go to that level of trouble (it takes a good few hours all told by the time all content is copied back) for something I was confident wouldn’t work any way. I gave the case manager a link to this thread as well.

home sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.