Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No bootable device / iMac 20-inch late 2006

My old iMac (late 2006) has lost its boot sector. Message is when it is turned on "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". I do not have a boot disk, at least not one that I can find.

I do not remember what I may have done to get it in this state, probably in 2012/13. I think that I may have tried to set it up as a dual-boot device to run either the Apple or Windows operating systems. The computer has been put away in storage since then but now I would like to get it working if that is possible.

Is there anyone here who can suggest a reasonably straightforward method for me to reactivate this iMac to get it booting up and working?

iMac

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 10:40 PM

If you telephone Apple, & quote your serial number… they may still be able to send you a DVD to reinstall the original operating system.

If you can lug it to an Apple Store, they may install an OS for you, but I'd try to get a yes before traveling very far, since it's 'obsolete' and they might refuse to look at it.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 10:40 PM in response to rivor

If you telephone Apple, & quote your serial number… they may still be able to send you a DVD to reinstall the original operating system.

If you can lug it to an Apple Store, they may install an OS for you, but I'd try to get a yes before traveling very far, since it's 'obsolete' and they might refuse to look at it.

No bootable device / iMac 20-inch late 2006

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.