Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Battery Needs Service/Not Lasting

My Macbook 2010 laptops battery is saying it needs to be serviced again for the third time in two years.

I already replaced it at the beginning of this year with similar symptoms on top of it not charging. This time its almost the same thing minus the charging situation.

The battery will not last longer then an hour if not 2 at the most, takes almost twice as long to charge. If I leave it for a week or two unplugged with the screen closed and sleeping, its dead when I go to try and use it again. The underside is also very hot even when the exhaust fan is running at full tilt.

What I can't seem to understand is that why I am having to replace the battery constantly. I also can't understand why a laptop in which was specified to have a battery life of up to 7 hours is only lasting an hour or two if that at the most. Plus should be able to last two years shut off and then when turned back on at least have 60% battery life left, not a dead battery.

Please help!

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 11:00 PM

You don't actually say if you are replacing these batteries with Apple batteries.

There are manufacturers / suppliers who will provide batteries that meet Apple standards but you should thoroughly check them out first. OWC (MacSales) are usually recommended here.

Were it an Apple battery it would have been warranty covered for 12 months,

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 11:00 PM in response to bruster1

You don't actually say if you are replacing these batteries with Apple batteries.

There are manufacturers / suppliers who will provide batteries that meet Apple standards but you should thoroughly check them out first. OWC (MacSales) are usually recommended here.

Were it an Apple battery it would have been warranty covered for 12 months,

Dec 14, 2017 11:56 PM in response to bruster1

Good morning, Bruster,

The most likely guide is where you bought it from. If it was an Apple store or an Authorised Apple re-seller, it would likely bear the Apple name and identification marks, serial number etc. Does it carry any name at all?

Click on the Apple logo (top left) > About this Mac > System report > Power. That will produce a page of info, at the top of which should be Battery Information. Normally we don't ask for serial numbers but in this case, could you copy and paste the first 20 lines or so in a reply to my post. You can name the seller and the country.

I'm a bit concerned about the reference to a two year shut off period. If it wasn't powered off correctly with all apps switched off, that could affect things. The fan and the heat could be so were the battery faulty.

Macbook Pro Battery Needs Service/Not Lasting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.