Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't run unix executable

I've tried running cpdf, but it quits on opening.

I get error -67062 when it quits.

I also get errors -67050 and unix error exception 17 all the time.

I ran disk utility.

What are these errors, and what can I do about them?

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 10:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 10:40 AM

The Coherent PDF application (cpdf) was written/compiled in Objective CAML (ocaml), and I suspect these higher error numbers are originating from that ocaml runtime. The last build of cpdf was on 1st Sept 2017, and there is no telling if it is compatible with Sierra or High Sierra. Review the Coherent online manual to ensure that you are using this command-line utility in its prescribed manner. Any command-line argument outside of the application's expectations could cause it to crash with those error codes.

I suggest contacting the developer with these error codes for further revelation of the cause.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2017 10:40 AM in response to Marja E

The Coherent PDF application (cpdf) was written/compiled in Objective CAML (ocaml), and I suspect these higher error numbers are originating from that ocaml runtime. The last build of cpdf was on 1st Sept 2017, and there is no telling if it is compatible with Sierra or High Sierra. Review the Coherent online manual to ensure that you are using this command-line utility in its prescribed manner. Any command-line argument outside of the application's expectations could cause it to crash with those error codes.

I suggest contacting the developer with these error codes for further revelation of the cause.

Dec 16, 2017 12:49 PM in response to Marja E

The Finder supports Bash scripts whose extension is .command, instead of .sh. You can double-click that .command file, and it will open a new Terminal window, and run the contents of the Bash script, and then quit. Ordinarily, that is the extent of it. No user interaction.

However, using osascript, one can add user interactivity via AppleScript within the .command file, and provide the results of that interaction as variables to the underlying Bash script. Would that help you, assuming that cPDF was willing to not generate errors? 😉

Dec 16, 2017 3:04 PM in response to Marja E

In the past, did we talk about the Skim PDF viewer, and its command-line component that can merge PDF, or extract ranges of PDF pages into an output PDF? This tool is inside the Skim application, and to use it on the command-line, one makes a UNIX soft link from the application into a folder location in their default (/usr/local/bin) search path. It may, or may not be as robust as cPDF.

skim help

Usage:

skimpdf embed IN_PDF_FILE [OUT_PDF_FILE]

skimpdf unembed IN_PDF_FILE [OUT_PDF_FILE]

skimpdf merge IN_PDF_FILE_1 IN_PDF_FILE_2 [OUT_PDF_FILE]

skimpdf extract IN_PDF_FILE [OUT_PDF_FILE] [-range START [LENGTH] | -page PAGE1... | -odd | -even]

skimpdf help [VERB]

skimpdf version

SkimPDF command-line client, version 1.1.6

Dec 16, 2017 3:40 PM in response to VikingOSX

I've found that different pdf-reformatting tools don't work well together. So if I use MuPdf and Quartz on the same file, it gets very blurry. In Sierra or High Sierra, I can't just use Quartz because it won't convert all the images any more. I often get better results with k2pdfopt which uses MuPdf, especially with scans from the Internet Archive or Google Books.

I sometimes split pdfs to reformat them in k2pdfopt, which uses MuPdf, and I want to be able to merge them back without re-reformatting them with Quartz. I haven't tested, but I think Skim would re-reformat them with Quartz.

Can't run unix executable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.