Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete text without format

Hello!

I use wireless keyboard.

In Numbers I have to delete the contents of a cell without deleting formatting (like dropdown menu, etc.)

I try with "backwards delete", "fn + backwards delete", "Command + backwards delete" but Numbers delete formatting also.

How can I delete only the text without deleting all the formatting? Better yet: is there a way to block formatting cell?

Thank you!

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 12:46 AM

2 replies

Dec 13, 2017 2:12 AM in response to Karelias

Hi Karelias,

For the specific example—a pop-up menu cell—you can select the cell, open the Format inspector, choose Cell, then click on one of the menu items to select it or double click on an item to edit it.

User uploaded file

With the item selected, click the - button below the list to remove that item from the menu list.

User uploaded file

Repeat as needed to delete all but one of the menu items. Numbers will not let you delete the only item in a pop-up menu cell while keeping the format.

If you double click on the last item (or any item) you will be able to edit that item, but again, if it is the only item in the menu, you will not be able to delete it.

For a non-pop-up menu cell, you can delete content by clicking on the cell to select it, then clicking the cell again to place the insertion point in the cell.

User uploaded file

With the insertion point—seen here immediately to the right of the number 800—you can use the delete key to delete the cell's content without deleting the cell's format setting:

User uploaded file

If you click once on a cell to select the cell, then press the delete key, you will delete both the content and the format settings of the cell.

Regards,

Barry

Dec 13, 2017 3:42 AM in response to Karelias

Karelias wrote:

In Numbers I have to delete the contents of a cell without deleting formatting (like dropdown menu, etc.)

I try with "backwards delete", "fn + backwards delete", "Command + backwards delete" but Numbers delete formatting also.

Pop-Up Menu is a special case in that it is both formatting and content. When you delete a cell formatted as Pop-Up Menu you get a blank cell formatted as Automatic.

But when you delete a cell formatted as, say, Date & Time, you get a blank cell still formatted as Date & Time. That is true for many other for other data formats as well.

SG

delete text without format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.