Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery draining fast after upgrading to High Sierra 10.13.2

Hi Guys,

After updating my MacBook Pro (2017) to High Sierra 11.3.2 my battery is draining pretty fast ( hardly getting 3-4 hrs). Before the update I use to get around 9-10 hrs of usage. My application usage has been the same (videos in Safari on WiFi). Location service and bluetooth is off, brightness is below halfway. The laptop also heats up a lot. Anyone else facing the same issue, is it a buggy release?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), 2017

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 11:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 8:48 PM

I'm not sure any of this is going to help or is even applicable to newer MBP's Mid 2017 but it's worth a try, I'll explain why at the bottom

I went old school, restarted and did the Power Management reset, Command Control P R, let it chime 3 times.

Then a Command-S, then fsck -fy, then exit and let it start.

It's MUCH better, after 3+ hrs, down to 64%, with constant web surfing. Before all of this after the last update I was pushing 10% at 3 hrs. YMMV. It's still not as good as it was but it's better. I hope that they figure out what the heck happened with the last update.

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2017 8:48 PM in response to nirajspawar

I'm not sure any of this is going to help or is even applicable to newer MBP's Mid 2017 but it's worth a try, I'll explain why at the bottom

I went old school, restarted and did the Power Management reset, Command Control P R, let it chime 3 times.

Then a Command-S, then fsck -fy, then exit and let it start.

It's MUCH better, after 3+ hrs, down to 64%, with constant web surfing. Before all of this after the last update I was pushing 10% at 3 hrs. YMMV. It's still not as good as it was but it's better. I hope that they figure out what the heck happened with the last update.

Feb 28, 2018 10:14 PM in response to seventy one

Just seen this post now.

I bought my Mac in November and honestly in the past 2 months of real use, I'm lucky to get 3hrs out of the battery.

I ordered online and picked it up from the store. ITS 100% authentic and I also have have close to the same numbers as shown above. I have a 13" with Touch Bar. I always keep my screen at 1/2 and only run one program at a time.

User uploaded file

Dec 13, 2017 4:08 AM in response to nirajspawar

I have to say this gently, you understand, but was this a special offer or budget priced battery. The report you just sent tells me the battery is questionable. If it were an Apple battery I would immediately say, take it back under warranty for exchange.

The full charge figure of 4620 is little more than half of an equivalent Apple battery and after only 19 cycles, too. My battery was 8780 when new and after some 220 cycles it is stiii 7870

Looking at your name, I am imagining you are in India where there is a lot of substandard goods washing around. I also know Indian technical people are very reluctant to admit fault and sadly I don't have much hope you will get a refund.

Try to get it back to the supplier is all I can suggest. You can show them what I have written here.

Dec 14, 2017 3:00 PM in response to nirajspawar

I upgraded to 10.13.2 today and IMMEDIATELY my battery would last only 3 hours or so (previously, literally 7-8 with intermittent use). I also notice it heating up.

I have an early 2015 MBP, so battery is not a spring chicken, but it was perfectly fine prior to the 10.13.2 upgrade, so that is pretty much the culprit.

I'm hoping this is a short term issue whereby there is some one-time indexing or something going on; if it is just a defect, I hope it is corrected and an update comes out soon! In all the time I have had my MBP I have NEVER run completely out of batter twice in a normal day!

Dec 22, 2017 6:46 PM in response to Mercurymingo

Sorry, I'm attempting to sound smarter than I am. 😁

FSCK -fy does the same thing that your disk repair does, cleans up the garbage in your system. On startup you can hold down command s, you'll see all sorts of stuff scroll by, when it stops on the bottom you'll see FSCK not done, or something similar. Just type in fsck -fy, let it do it's thing, then repeat. It will tell you if it's done anything. When done type exit and it will do a startup and with any luck things will be good.

As a note, I'm getting the sense that the issue lies with Safari, nothing I can prove except when I'm looking at processes it's looking like it's using a lot of resources/energy. I have no basis/foundation for this.

I tend to keep a lot of apps open, Safari, Chat, calendar and maybe doing some audio work, all on battery power, hey, it's a lap top that's the idea of them.

But since doing the power reset and the fsck it appears to be close to ok.

Best of luck.

Dec 31, 2017 3:39 PM in response to nirajspawar

Noticed the same issue with my MacBook Pro mid-2012 after upgrading to 10.13.2. My battery went from fully charged to 10% in about 2 hours with only Safari running. Also the device was running very hot and fans were going loud.

I've opened the Activity Monitor and found that Safari was running on more than 100% CPU! I've closed Safari and switched to Chrome for browsing, and the device went back to normal operation, no heating, no loud fans and battery life went back to normal.

It seems that something went wrong with Safari with the 10.13.2 update. Hopefully that gets fixed in the coming update.

Jan 1, 2018 7:56 AM in response to CTSeaDragon

On the 'vulnurability'...

carlsson

14 weeks ago

OMG, to enable this software you have to enter System Preferences, answer YES on two dialogues, and also enter your password. Then it may STEAL your not encoded things stored in the keychain (by default everything is stored encoded). I think I'm going to Windows now. This is just too much!!!

/irony ended

High Sierra is fine, This battery issue , for me, is gone. Last night when clicking the battery it indicated that Mail was drawing the most, I shut down mail for a bit, restarted it and it now, 12 hrs later is fine.

Jan 1, 2018 9:52 AM in response to nirajspawar

I have a 2013 Mac Pro and noticed the same battery drop issue

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Serial Number: D8622773712DNMGA2

Manufacturer: SMP

Device Name: bq20z451

Pack Lot Code: 0

PCB Lot Code: 0

Firmware Version: 511

Hardware Revision: 3

Cell Revision: 1150

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 5021

Fully Charged: Yes

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5021

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 1049

Condition: Replace Soon

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 12494

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

Wake on LAN: Yes

AutoPowerOff Delay: 28800

AutoPowerOff Enabled: 0

Current Power Source: Yes

DarkWakeBackgroundTasks: 1

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

GPUSwitch: 2

Hibernate Mode: 3

PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0

Standby Delay: 4200

Standby Enabled: 1

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

AutoPowerOff Delay: 0

AutoPowerOff Enabled: 0

DarkWakeBackgroundTasks: 1

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

GPUSwitch: 2

Hibernate Mode: 3

Reduce Brightness: Yes

Standby Delay: 4200

Standby Enabled: 1

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

ID: 0x0aa1

Wattage (W): 85

Family: 0x0085

Serial Number: 0x009f7d9f

Charging: No

Jan 17, 2018 5:39 PM in response to nirajspawar

I have a 15" 2017 Macbook Pro and the battery performance was significantly affected by the latest upgrade to 10.13.2. I did have latest High Sierra before this upgrade that was issued to fix the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerability.

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 2549

Fully Charged: No

Charging: Yes

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6454

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 16

Condition: Normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 5318

Voltage (mV): 12111

Battery draining fast after upgrading to High Sierra 10.13.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.