Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder freezes after access windows SMB folder.The finder freezes after I access the network after 4 to 6 times. The Finder shows the spinning beach ball and it shows as “Not Responding”. I can access any other app that was already running. I have fo

The finder freezes after I access the network after 4 to 6 times.

The Finder shows the spinning beach ball and it shows as “Not Responding”. I can access any other app that was already running. I have force quitting Finder (sometimes when trying to access the Apple menu, it will freeze) .

I have to hold the power button until the iMac switches off, I then reboot the the iMac to get to work again.

The network files are on a Windows 10 machine. I am connecting via smb://192.168.1.102.

This only occurred after upgrading to macOS 10.13.2 (17C88).

Model Name:iMac
Model Identifier:iMac17,1
Processor Name:Intel Core i7
Processor Speed:4 GHz
Number of Processors:1
Total Number of Cores:4
L2 Cache (per Core):256 KB
L3 Cache:8 MB
Memory:16 GB
Boot ROM Version:IM171.0110.B00
SMC Version (system):2.33f10
Serial Number (system):C02QR0BLGQ18
Hardware UUID:ECA49B78-3CB8-50E3-B4E6-79DE1BF9B983

System Software Overview:

System Version:macOS 10.13.2 (17C88)
Kernel Version:Darwin 17.3.0

Model Name: iMac

IMAC (RETINA 5K, 27-INCH, LATE 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2017 7:14 AM

Same situation here. I always seem to noticed it right after I rename a file. The file name is not updated in finder but on the Windows side all shows fine. I close the finder window and when I reopen it the first few times either nothing is shown for any of the smb drives or everything freezes and the ball starts spinning. This problem only started happening a few weeks ago. I have not noticed the problem when I'm just accessing or deleting files.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2017 7:14 AM in response to brenton_s

Same situation here. I always seem to noticed it right after I rename a file. The file name is not updated in finder but on the Windows side all shows fine. I close the finder window and when I reopen it the first few times either nothing is shown for any of the smb drives or everything freezes and the ball starts spinning. This problem only started happening a few weeks ago. I have not noticed the problem when I'm just accessing or deleting files.

Jan 11, 2018 8:03 AM in response to brenton_s

In this day and age, you should always use the acronym SMB.

However, I have noticed working in IT, many issues with Mac Finder freezing and locking down the machine.

I have personally found that CIFS protocol resolves the Finder issues.

Odd as this sounds, it has worked.

The BEST solution would be to use an FTP, like FileZilla.

Hope this helps!

SMB
SMB stands for “Server Message Block.” It’s a file sharing protocol that was invented by IBM and has been around since the mid-eighties. It was designed to allow computers to read and write files to a remote host over a local area network (LAN). The directories on the remote hosts made available via SMB are called “shares.”

CIFS
CIFS stands for “Common Internet File System.” CIFS is a dialect of SMB. That is, CIFS is a particular implementation of the Server Message Block protocol, created by Microsoft.

Citation on SMB / CIFS: https://blog.varonis.com/the-difference-between-cifs-and-smb/

Jan 15, 2018 3:59 AM in response to brenton_s

The Finder doesnt like Windows shares.

Yes Apple fully support SMB but the Finder issue is one only resolved on Samba Shares using the newer vfs_fruits module

You have a simple course of action, buy Acronis Access Connect which provides native file sharing to Macs from Windows server.

The other option, which is known to work with no issues as well (no cost), is FTP (FileZilla / WinSCP / Etc.).

I hope this helps!

Finder freezes after access windows SMB folder.The finder freezes after I access the network after 4 to 6 times. The Finder shows the spinning beach ball and it shows as “Not Responding”. I can access any other app that was already running. I have fo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.