Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Interrupted High Sierra, Flashing Question Folder keep appearing

Hi,

I am using Macbook air from early 2015, with OS X 10.12.

I wanted to install High Sierra 2 days ago, but it went bad. As I read in many post, mine was also stuck on 22 minutes remaining. Usually I had no problem on upgrading OS so I canceled it. Little thing I know, after I tried to restart my mac, now the flashing question folder keep appearing.

I tried many options such as:

1. Command + R = Did the disk utility check - was okay. Can't reinstall OS X - no disk was found. Can't restart startup disk - no disk was found as well

2. Option command R = same, no luck. Did the disk utility check - was okay. Can't reinstall OS X - no disk was found. Can't restart startup disk - no disk was found

3. Shift option command R = Did the disk utility check - was okay. Can't reinstall OS X - no disk was found. But I can get into reinstalling OS High Sierra again... and tried that. Just until few minutes ago it was still stuck 22 minutes after waiting for long hours. I checked the log and it seemed working, but keep repeating on the same issues. I've tried to report to Apple and gave up on installing and wanting to have OS X instead.

It has been 2 days so I am kind of desperate needed to work on laptop, and had no access to go to apple store due to my location now.

So what I did next was a bit careless. I erase data of the Machintos HD although I have no back up.

Now I can choose the disk to install the OS X but still waiting for the result (it is said 10 hours to go, since the internet was so slow).

I don't really back up data to icloud and time machine, I know I am careless. I am okay to lose the data but photos!

They are from Nepal and India's travel and more importantly I promised to give show them to my dad.

Is there any way I can restore the photos if I erase the data?

Thanks a lot.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 12:51 AM

1 reply

Dec 13, 2017 2:59 PM in response to sukidake

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, sukidake.
If I understand your post correctly, after an interupted update you now have a flashing question mark on your MacBook Air. I understand that you're also concerned about photos; I'd like to help.
To resolve the flashing question mark follow the steps in this article:
If a flashing question mark appears when you start your Mac
Most data, like photos, will not typically be affected when reinstalling macOS. However, it's always recommended that you keep a current backup of your data. For Photos, you can also use iCloud Photo Library. For more information, check out these articles:
How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac
iCloud Photo Library
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Interrupted High Sierra, Flashing Question Folder keep appearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.