Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook USB-C with Second Screen and Network Port

The single USB-C port of on the new MacBook is ruining my life 😁

As the MB only has a 12in screen I also purchased the Acer screen that works with USB-C.

Acer H277HK 27" IPS LED ZeroFrame Monitor at Ebuyer

Great, all works fine. USB-C from the monitor plugs in to the Mac, powers it and works a treat.

The problem however is I also need to connect the Mac via ethernet cable to our local network.

I have bought the following adaptor:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Delivery-Charging-Ethernet-Specification-Aluminum-Gray/ dp/B01MZ0HFDG/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_23_bs_tr_t…

Ideally, my setup would be the power to this adaptor and the Mac comes from the USB-C coming from the monitor, however the problem is this won't support the video output via USB-C. 😠

My current solution is I plug my MacBook USB-C power adaptor into the adaptor, the adaptor in to the Mac (to power it), the adaptor to the screen via the HDMI output (making my purchase of a screen that supported USB-C redundant) and the network cable into the adaptor. All works but is just a mess of many cables and a waste of time having a USB-C monitor!

Does anyone have a better solution? Are there any adaptors that I haven't found that might have their own power supplies that would allow the full use of the USB-C adaptor to the screen and the network port without the additional HMDI connection?

MacBook

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 3:32 AM

There are no replies.

Macbook USB-C with Second Screen and Network Port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.