Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2011 Turns off on start up

Hi All

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro.

Running Sierra OS. A few days ago it restarted itself whilst watching a movie but it only makes it to about ¾ of the Bar on loading screen with the apple logo before going black. The apple logo on the back lights up until it goes black.

I have tried resetting the PRAM and SMC. Neither have helped.

I’ve taken the laptop of the power adaptor for a day before retrying.

Have looked on other threads but nothing has worked.

Open to suggestions on what to try as Genius Bar reservations waiting list is a week long.

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 3:24 AM

2 replies

Dec 13, 2017 3:33 PM in response to Hart91

Hello Hart91,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to get your MacBook Pro to fully startup, even after trying some good troubleshooting steps. Next, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents startup items and login items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log into your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
Limited graphics performance in OS X recovery or safe mode

Cheers!

Dec 13, 2017 5:46 PM in response to Hart91

During a normal boot-up, your Mac loads an initial blob of software from a known location on the drive. This contains the initialization routines, and the solid Apple that appears on the screen, which is NOT in the Mac's ROM. Seeing the Apple tells you the disk is alive and transferred good stuff into memory and your Mac is starting up.

To make further progress, it needs many, many more files, by name. So it initializes the File System, and attempts to Mount the boot drive. If that fails, it begins a Directory Check (similar to Disk Utility First Aid) that adds about five minutes to boot-up time. The progress bar continues to move -- often well beyond its normal end-place.

>> So if you are seeing the extra five minutes added, you have probably reached this point.

At the end of the First Aid pass, it will try to Mount the boot drive again.

-- if it passes, boot-up continues.

-- if it fails, your Mac can do nothing more, so it powers off.

The first line of defense is to boot to Recovery and run Disk Repair/First Aid again, several times, until the drive comes clean of it gets hopelessly stuck.

MacBook Pro 2011 Turns off on start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.