Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem when Passcode is Active

Hi everyone,

I have been using my Apple Watch 3 for a while.

The problem is that when I use Runtastic App to track my running activity, Watch goes to Face screen and passlocked after few seconds. This causes Runtastic app to malfunction and not be able to track calories or distance properly. I also had the same result with Workout App. If I turn passcode off, Runtastic works great and track everything well.

Anyone having the same problem?

How to fix that problem without turning passcode off?

WATCH SERIES 3 NIKE (GPS) 42MM, watchOS 4.2

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 3:37 AM

7 replies

Dec 13, 2017 3:40 AM in response to udalmaz

Hi

The following steps may help:

If you are not yet doing so, then you might wish to use these settings:

• On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Passcode:
    • Turn Wrist Detection on.
    • Turn Passcode on.
    • Enable Unlock with iPhone.
  • After putting it on your wrist, your Apple Watch will then unlock after whatever you do first: either unlocking your watch manually (by entering the passcode) or unlocking your iPhone.
  • It will then remain unlocked (including when the screen is asleep) until you remove it from your wrist. When you remove your watch, it will lock automatically.
  • Turn on, wake, and unlock

With Wrist Detection and Passcode enabled, check that you are unlocking your Apple Watch after placing it on your wrist and that you are wearing it sufficiently snugly.

User uploaded file

Sensor performance can also be affected by temporary or permanent changes to your skin, such as some wrist tattoos:

If you are concerned about a possible hardware defect with your Apple Watch, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Dec 13, 2017 4:23 AM in response to udalmaz

As referenced in my previous reply, besides potentially being affected by fit, sensor performance can also be affected by temporary or permanent changes to your skin, such as by some wrist tattoos:

Note also that any passcode or related restrictions that may be enforced on your iPhone (via a corporate configuration profile, mobile device management or Exchange policy) also affect Apple Watch. If your iPhone is managed in this way, then I suggest that you contact your device administrator for further information and help.

Setting passcode restrictions for an Apple Watch - Apple Support

If neither of these explains your issue and you are concerned about a possible hardware defect with your Apple Watch, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Dec 13, 2017 4:12 AM in response to udalmaz

In order to unlock your Apple Watch with your iPhone, with the relevant setting enabled (see my previous reply), first ensure that you have placed your Apple Watch on your wrist.

With Wrist Detection disabled, you will not be able to benefit from features including earning Stand credit, using Apple Pay and the convenience of a single unlock after placing your Apple Watch on your wrist.

Dec 13, 2017 4:20 AM in response to Jonathan UK

I am totally sure that I placed my Watch on my wrist.

However, I can confirm that unlocking my iPhone X doesn't unlock my Watch with the relevant settings enabled.

With Wrist Detection disabled, you will not be able to benefit from features including earning Stand credit, using Apple Pay and the convenience of a single unlock after placing your Apple Watch on your wrist.

I already can't use Apple Pay in the country I live. Let's discard this.

What is the convenience of a single unlock? My problem is already that It gets locked every single 5 seconds even though it is placed on my wrist. And I don't want it to get locked that often especially when I am working out.

Problem when Passcode is Active

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.