Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error burning dvd

Hi,

Sometimes I have getting a non specific error burning a dvd on my iMac, how can I test the dvd on my iMac?

Nero software has a test for this on windows, but it not run on Mac OS X.

There is a software to test dvd drive and dvd disc on iMac?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.4), 8 GB memory

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 4:41 AM

5 replies

Dec 13, 2017 8:22 AM in response to Dick2008

There are basically 3 possible explanations:

1. Your media is marginal - DVDs don't last forever, they are based on organic dyes which deteriorate over time. I've seen blank discs go bad in less than a year (and who knows how long they sat in a warehouse and on the store shelves before I bought them).
  2. A dirty lens - a lens cleaner isn't a bad investment
  3. A failing DVD drive

Dec 13, 2017 5:36 AM in response to Dick2008

have you checked some of the free burning tools from mac app store or from other sites, they may have some similar test. but optical drives are mechanical devices which rotate a not truly fixed plastic tray around at a high velocity, so they are usually one of the first things to die, which is likely why many newer computers don't come with them anymore, it easier to replace an external usb box, then something internal if one should need optical media access.

Dec 14, 2017 1:26 PM in response to dwb

Dwb,

I have used several media from Maxprint I think that it is a marginal one, does not worked to me and I used 8X, 4X and 2X but with the same error. Using a media from Maxell which I bought some years ago(5 or more) I get a message that the media could not run because were not possible to do the verification of the burning process, but works I could see the video which I have had burned.

So your first explanation is correct, although the media Maxprint is a new one but not so good as Maxell( I think so)

Regarding the lens cleaner could you suggest some?

A failing DVD drive it is possible but since 2010 up to now I used it at least 50 times.

Error burning dvd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.