Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High sierra upgrade failure

I upgraded my macbook air to high sierra when prompted recently but it has frozen halfway through.

I have tried rebooting many times with no success.

I have tried opening in safe mode and retrying but with no success

I have tried reinstalling a previous OS but it will not accept this

I cannot reinstall completely as I am on a business trip right now

Any suggestions?

thanks

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 2:39 AM

Hi Bennietojo,

Are you upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra or are you updating 10.13.2?

User uploaded file

I am asking this as there is a recurrent issue with the update I have just mentioned and there is a way out, but I am not sure it would work on an upgrade!

If you're on the update, try to reboot with the option key (boot out of the update 10.13.2. install drive) and boot with the regular Mac drive...

If not then try to reboot with Option - Command - R for internet recovery. If it doesn't work then you have no other option than to bring it to a Genius in an Apple shop or authorized agent...

Good luck...

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2017 2:39 AM in response to Bennietojo

Hi Bennietojo,

Are you upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra or are you updating 10.13.2?

User uploaded file

I am asking this as there is a recurrent issue with the update I have just mentioned and there is a way out, but I am not sure it would work on an upgrade!

If you're on the update, try to reboot with the option key (boot out of the update 10.13.2. install drive) and boot with the regular Mac drive...

If not then try to reboot with Option - Command - R for internet recovery. If it doesn't work then you have no other option than to bring it to a Genius in an Apple shop or authorized agent...

Good luck...

Dec 14, 2017 1:09 AM in response to Bennietojo

That should be just enough for HighSierra... When you have an SSD inside it is low anyway.

To live long, SSDs need more free space, say about 25-35 GB (for the wear levelling in the SSD controller).

When you have returned, do this:

Hold the CMD+R keys while starting up, it is slow, opens in the Recovery Partition,

choose Install macOS: it will download the complete OS that you "have" now on the mac, and install it (it leaves your user data and settings alone, but of course you have backups), then it restarts, should open completely. Takes some time.

High sierra upgrade failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.