Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Generic app icon on the dock

Hi everyone,

during the last months some times It happens that when I open an application, the dock icon could appears like that: User uploaded file

In this case if I go to the application folder the App Store icon is also bugged there. The app however works normally and a reboot fix the problem for a while. I have tried: to use Disk Utility in Recovery Mode - to boot in Safe Mode - to run some basic scripts throw the Terminal - I also tried to reinstall OS X 10.13.2 and then restore my files form a backup to Time Machine; but nothing succeed to fix the problem. Is this a bug of OS X?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 4:54 AM

15 replies

Dec 15, 2017 4:36 AM in response to Giuseppe1910

Hello,

the problem has been there for a while now. It's a severe overall caching bug that was introduced with Sierra. Apple knows about it but it's on low priority because it doesn't hurt system integrity. It's annoying as a sticky chewing gum on your shoe however.

Short answer: It won't go away. Apple has to solve this in a future update.

You can get rid of it for a few days / hours / moments by booting into safe mode (hold the SHIFT key while powering up your Mac). The problem will return, however, no matter what you do. Neither resetting the PRAM nor clearing the Iconcache nor fiddling around with esoteric Terminal commands will do anything to end this permanently

My suspicion so far is that the problem is related to some hibernation cache, because it will arise ever so often after waking up my Macbook Pro.

Good luck on solving this - and if you get a definite answer from Apple or find a solution, i'd love to hear from you.

Dec 15, 2017 4:35 AM in response to Foxboy71

Ok thank you for your answer! However as soon as I'll come back home I'll try the Combo Update, it seems to fix the problem in some case even if I don't know It is possible. Essentially Combo Updaters allow for updating a Mac from a prior version of OS X within the same major release, without necessitating the Mac being on the immediately preceding version point release. In other words, it’s a combined update, including all necessary components from prior point releases, even if they are not installed on the target Mac. I have already reinstall the macOS using Recovery Mode so I don't think this update will fix my problem.

Generic app icon on the dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.