Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How strong are the straps of series 3 watches?

How easy it is to steal? Or to rip from your wrist?

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 4:48 AM

6 replies

Dec 13, 2017 5:06 AM in response to zfair14

Hi

Those are subjective questions.

Like some stage magicians, practiced thieves may be able to remove any type of watch band, potentially without the wearer being aware, whether with or without the benefit of distraction techniques or use of brute force.

A couple of users have reported the Sport Band having come unfastened when surfing or swimming in the ocean.

I suggest that you visit an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorised Reseller to view and try on different bands in person, in order to get the best idea regarding their relative security and strength.

Dec 13, 2017 9:25 AM in response to zfair14

If theft is a concern, I would recommend you give strong consideration to the Milanese Mesh band. It does not come undone and requires the watch be slipped off your wrist in order to be removed. The only way someone could remove the band while on your wrist is by releasing the band removal button, which is located underneath the watch. That would be extremely difficult if not impossible with the watch on your wrist.

Dec 13, 2017 5:57 PM in response to zfair14

I suspect that your concern is the potential removal of your Apple Watch, complete with the band, from your wrist, not just the band.

Along with, for example, Apple Watch models fitted with Link Bracelet and Milanese Loop bands, many other watches have bands that do not come fully undone under normal use, such that they need to be removed over your hand.

That would certainly not stop a sufficiently determined or skilful thief.

Dec 13, 2017 5:56 PM in response to zfair14

Pretty darn tootin strong. Where it attaches to the watch inside is a metal channel and the watch end which is also metal, slides in and clicks in place. One has to push a button underneath the watch to slide the band out of the metal channel and the part that attaches is also Metal.

You really should go where Apple Watches are sold and see the mechanism and the band options in person. Then you can an informed decision based on your specific needs and/or wants.

Dec 14, 2017 4:19 PM in response to zfair14

Where the band joins to the watch is pretty darn sturdy...you have to push the button on the inside to release it from the watch.

Now the bands themselves are another story, depending upon the type and maker. I stopped using the sports band because too often it didn't close firmly or seemed to open unexpectedly. The last straw was putting it on, having it fly open, land on the floor and crack the lens.

I really like the woven nylon (I have both an apple and a knockoff - not much difference except $$$). The band is very sturdy and the clasp is much more secure, for me anyway, than the sports band. And I swim with mine every day and haven't had any problems with it getting wet.

How strong are the straps of series 3 watches?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.