Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Account not synching automatically

Several mail service accounts are set in Mail app (macos 10.12.6). All them use IMAP and SMTP, majority of those is enabled. All are set to server connection automatic management, SMTPs and IMAPs. Mail Preferences > General > Check for new messages = manually.

Almost all are syncing with IMAP automatically, used does not need to carry any handling in order to have new message in Mail app. Except for one. That one exceptional is not Google, if to look onto providers web mail access it is also not Google -derivate, looks like provider proprietary. Why all are synching IMAP on themself except this one.

This problem did not occur until upgrade to 10.12 was made (from 10.9). Before upgrade one does not needed to sync the exceptional one manually.

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 5:29 AM

15 replies

Dec 13, 2017 2:51 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you for your hints. Please give me some time to apply them, few free time resources and lot to do this time. Possibly not until after-Christmas I can be back to the question here, but I am back on this issue for sure as current behavior irritating.

Dec 20, 2017 1:05 PM in response to Community User

If answer to question asked recently is possible me kindly asks for that?

Email provider is local-one Eastern Europe, it does not seem to service derivated from Goolge mail-service. Last test made with macOS user account created specially for this test shew problem is not reproducible with that account, only the regular account existing for several years affected.

Connection Doctor claims all is fine for this server.

I should also add that latest upgrade from 10.9 to 10.12 (operating system version) resulted in plenty of problems or messes in Mail app. This one is one of multiple issues.

Jan 28, 2018 8:04 AM in response to Eric Root

Sorry for long delay. It is not the only problem to deal with.

Me don't believes the root cause could be on email provider's side. As IMAP synch triggered manually (mailbox' contextual menu) works as expected. Furthermore the worsening happened suddenly and it happened on OS upgrade from 10.9 to 10.12, also it is one of lot worsenings occurred ed on that OS upgrade.

Indeed deletion then recreation of mail-account does not help.

However no problems with this IMAP account in other mac OS user account created specially for this test.

Jan 28, 2018 8:17 AM in response to Community User

Try running this program in your normal user account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Feb 24, 2018 7:54 AM in response to Eric Root

Are any points in Etrecheck's report file I might examine on myself regarding problematic IMAP account here? Or just in opposite is lot of knowledge and experience needed for that?

Had a look into that report file and did not see suspicious points.

Feb 24, 2018 10:44 AM in response to Eric Root

Sounds reasonable. However is it not be following way? Should the root-cause be in any of remaining software installed shouldn't more IMAP accounts be affected, not only this one? Up to 15 IMAP accounts are setup here and in use. Only this one is affected.

Furthermore problem started to be reproducible exactly on upgrade to Sierra (the non-High one). For me looks like to point rather to macOS.

Dec 16, 2017 8:30 AM in response to Eric Root

Manual download of new messages works always for problematic IMAP account. Only auto makes problems. Thus indications in Connection Doctor is fine.

Account not synching automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.