Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipad mini screen goes dark almost immediately after log in, and wants the passcode over and over again. It doesn't stay on long enough to do anything.

My ipad mini - operating system ios11, 32g, keeps going dark and wanting the passcode over and over again in such quick succession that there is no time to do anything. It happens whatever I attempt to do.

I have tried turning off and rebooting etc, deleted the only new app I have and none of it helped.

iPad Mini

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 5:14 AM

2 replies

Dec 13, 2017 5:50 PM in response to Christian1943

Hello Christian1943,
Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you are having an issue with your iPad frequently asking for your password. I use my iPad a lot and know how important it is to have your device working the way you want. I'm here to help.

I would like to try to isolate the issue by having you restore your iPhone to factory settings. You can do this by making a backup of your content, then restore iOS using the latest version iTunes. If the issue is caused by the iOS software this will resolve it.

Back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to factory settings

Note: We’d like for you to test the iPhone before restoring the backup. Restoring from the backup may place the same issue back on the iPhone.

Please let me know if this helps.
Have a great day!

Dec 14, 2017 2:43 AM in response to sterling r

Thank you for that. By some miracle I hit on a solution which involved first of all initiating the update to ios and then resetting all settings. The only noticeable effect, apart from the upgrade, was losing my passcode altogether, but that was soon reinstated. It is now working perfectly. All my Apps and info were intact. It was all done in snatches between constantly having to give my passcode, and the update was not completed until AFTER I had reset all settings, so maybe it was the reset which did the trick. (Incidentally I love the new keyboard in the update. So good!)

My ipad mini screen goes dark almost immediately after log in, and wants the passcode over and over again. It doesn't stay on long enough to do anything.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.