Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[SOLVED] Macbook Pro Wifi Connection Issues

Hi guys, for years I have on and off been having issues connecting my MBP to my home wifi. All my devices work fine except my MBP unless I use my ethernet cable. I have tried everything all these apple discussions have suggested I do and to no avail.

I found out what MY problem was, and hopefully this will work for you too.

Make sure you are not connecting to 5GHz on your router/modem. I switched to 2.4GHz and my wifi is now working perfectly fine on my MacBook Pro.

I hope this works for you as it did for me.

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 6:07 AM

13 replies

Dec 13, 2017 7:34 AM in response to BavarianE34

You want to be at least 3 to 5 feet away from modern multi-antenna routers. there are some wonky problems that can occur with "too close" including 'signal too "loud"' and 'signal does not get organized that close to the multiple antennas'.

What you expect to see happening when you DO make a connection is that the connection shows good signal strength, low noise, and transmit speed runs at multiples (2x or 3x) of the baseband speed indicating proper operation of the multiple antennas, and not too much interference from your neighbors.

I have worked with users willing to post their Option Wi_fi information, and a few surprising discoveries have turned up. It looks like this:

User uploaded file

If you can make a connection in 5GHz, what do you see for these numbers?

Dec 13, 2017 6:17 AM in response to BavarianE34

Thanks for sharing that. But yours is not likely to be a Universal solution.

For most Wi-Fi problems, the solution depends very highly on the local competition and interferences from neighbors on the airwaves around you, your distance from the Router and the construction materials used in your home, as well as other less--frequently encountered Wi-Fi environment issues.

Dec 13, 2017 6:28 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I have literally been next to my router and still had issues using the internet while connected to 5GHz. My MBP used to be fine, I could use it anywhere in the house, upstairs downstairs, backyard, and have zero issues. Granted being on 2.4GHz isn't doing much as performance is concerned, but its running well enough.

Do you think this could of been caused by upgrading the OS? I have a Late 2011. There have been a few OS upgrades since then. The reason why I assume the OS could be the culprit is because all my other devices that connect to the router, such as windows laptop, iPhones, Droids, even the TV have never given me any trouble. Only the MacBook Pro.

Dec 13, 2017 7:43 AM in response to BavarianE34

I don't think the solution to a 5GZ connection not working is to use 2.4GZ. This is only a work-around which skirts the real issue. 5GZ works, or is designed to work on your computer. So the solution is to find the cause of the 5GZ connection issue and solve that issue. Follow Grant's suggestions and maybe the two of you will indeed solve the issue of your 5GZ not working correctly.

Dec 13, 2017 7:58 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Yeah, and I agree with you, but it is a solution. It may not be ideal, I want to be on 5ghz like I used to be, but my MacBook doesnt want to comply any longer. The only thing I did was switch to 2.4ghz and my wifi is running smoothly. Yeah im not hitting over 100MBPS in fact im less than 50, but its better than hovering around 0-1 mbps when im on 5ghz.

I have tried all the solutions here on the discussion, and this is the only source I would trust because it seems to be a MacBook problem because im my post to Grant, I did mention to him that my other devices haven't had issues, just the MBP (late 2011) that I have upgraded the OS a few times when this started becoming an issue.

Dec 13, 2017 8:46 AM in response to BavarianE34

You have lousy signal strength. You may be too far away from your Router for good reception. RSSI less noise on 2.4 gives -81 less -71 yields -10 signal-to-noise, poor.

on the 2.4GHz, the maximum baseband speed is 72.2, which you are achieving. With less competition from neighbors and stronger signal, you should be able to use two antennas with the data being sent as essentially the difference between them, and double that speed to 135 or thereabouts.

On the 5GHz, you are using a 40MHz data channel, whose baseband speed is about 150 Mbits/sec. You are not coming anywhere close to that because your signal strength is so poor at -81 less -74 or -7 signal-to-noise.

how far away are you when taking these measurements? Is your house made of solid masonry, like mine? I have 4 foot thick chimneys and wire lath behind inch-thick plaster, and my Wi-Fi signal dissipates almost immediately.

Close to your Router with direct line-of-sight should give you stronger (closer to zero) than -50 RSSI.

Dec 13, 2017 9:22 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

It could be hardware, I did buy it refurbished. But, how would that explain my stable connection on 2.4GHz? If I had frayed or disconnected antennas wouldn't I have very little to no connection? If my question is true, then I should be having the same results with 2.4GHz as I am with 5GHz. Incidentally, I can hop on my iPhone's hotspot, or wifi's in other locations no problem. I dont think getting a new MBP would be the solution, it seems that some people with newer Macs are also having problems.

You really don't think the OS updates could have anything to do with this, even in the slightest bit?

Dec 13, 2017 9:35 AM in response to BavarianE34

You appear to have a reproducible Hardware problem. Your signal does not appear to be strong enough.

Yes, you can make some "easy" connections. That tells you it is not flat-out dead.

RSSI (Signal Strength) is not based on MacOS software, any version.

Close to your Router with direct line-of-sight should give you stronger (closer to zero) than -50 RSSI.

[SOLVED] Macbook Pro Wifi Connection Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.