Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac keeps booting into Mac OS X Utilities mode

Good Afternoon,

I'm pulling my hair out over my iMac (late 2012). I've recently formatted it after having various boot/OS issues. I reinstalled the OS (High Sierra) in internet recovery mode and everything was fine for about a day or so and then this morning it keeps booting into Mac OS X Utilities mode and won't boot normally.

I've tried the following;

• Disk Utility and repair - no issues found
  • NVRAM reset
  • FSCK in single user made which made some modification but passed seconds time without issue
  • Carried out hardware check in AHT mode - no issues found

Can anyone point me in the direction as to what the cause and fix could be?? Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Trevor

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 5:51 AM

2 replies

Dec 13, 2017 6:52 AM in response to trevstonbury

When troubleshooting, was the keyboard & mouse the only hardware connected to your comp?

Try zapping the PRAM several times in a row.

If you have a backup, restore from the TM backup just prior to when the problem began.

Your HD may be failing. Your posted problem I have seen elsewhere throughout this forum. No stand alone solutions. At least none I could find. Maybe you can. Suggest you do a forum search if you have not already done so.

**Thank you for reporting the troubleshooting efforts you have previously tried. Very helpful to users trying to help.**

User uploaded file

iMac keeps booting into Mac OS X Utilities mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.