Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken SATA cable?

Hi,

A while ago, my HD stopped working and I had to use an external HD. Couple of days ago I ordered 240GB SSD, and 2x4GB RAM, which all arrived today. I've successfully installed RAM and the drive, but the SSD does not show up in Disk Utility when I boot MBP in online recovery mode.

About two months ago I've spilled some pepsi on my MBP, but everything's working fine. When I was installing my new SSD, I've noticed that there's a bit of dry sticky Pepsi on the HD's SATA cable.

Could this be the case for my problem and should I just get a new replacement cable?

MBP 13" Mid-2012

Thanks

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 6:12 AM

1 reply

Dec 13, 2017 8:30 AM in response to zetbo

RE: SATA Cables:

Brue computing posted an interesting Video on Youtube. The proposition was that the SATA cable problems in certain MacBooks was caused by abrasion against the machined inside of the aluminum case. Their solution? RED TAPE!

User uploaded file

(The drive has been removed for photographic clarity)

One strip applied to the case, and one strip applied to the underside of the cable.

You should use RED tape because it is associated with higher speeds, and will therefore keep the high speed bits from spilling out of the cable and accumulating inside the case.

OGELTHORPE insists that I have a fiduciary responsibility to tell you that--^

Many Users prefer to simply replace the cable than get involved with all this "red tape".

Broken SATA cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.