Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages crash

Pages crashes on my session each time I open it. how to fix this problem? thank you

Pages plante sur ma session a chaque fois que je l'ouvre. comment faire pour regler ce problème? merci

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 1:44 AM

Is this a problem with a single document, or any document when opened in Pages v6.3.1? Are you using the EndNote plug-in for Pages v6, and if so, it should be v3.1 for Pages v6.3.1.

Almost always, when any version of Pages does not work as you have described, reinstalling the operating system is a waste of time. Pretty much the same drill for removing Pages v6.3.1, and reinstalling from the Mac App Store.

Are you running any anti-virus, or so-called Mac cleaner applications? These are known to play havoc with normal operating system behavior, and in the latter case, may remove more than expected.

Boot your Mac into Safe mode, and try Pages v6.3.1 again. Does it still crash? Reboot normally, and try it again. Still crashing?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2017 1:44 AM in response to swatix

Is this a problem with a single document, or any document when opened in Pages v6.3.1? Are you using the EndNote plug-in for Pages v6, and if so, it should be v3.1 for Pages v6.3.1.

Almost always, when any version of Pages does not work as you have described, reinstalling the operating system is a waste of time. Pretty much the same drill for removing Pages v6.3.1, and reinstalling from the Mac App Store.

Are you running any anti-virus, or so-called Mac cleaner applications? These are known to play havoc with normal operating system behavior, and in the latter case, may remove more than expected.

Boot your Mac into Safe mode, and try Pages v6.3.1 again. Does it still crash? Reboot normally, and try it again. Still crashing?

Dec 14, 2017 4:11 AM in response to swatix

Safe Boot mode is not the first priority in restoring Pages to nornal operation, though it is good that your Pages v6.3.1 is now fixed.

Ordinarily, unless the Font database is corrupted, or fonts critical to Pages normal operation have been deactivated, or removed — simply holding down the shift key while launching Pages, followed by opening the document — is frequently sufficient to cure an initial Pages crashing issue.

When that does not work, then proceeding to Safe Boot mode has also been shown over time to resolve many other unexplained Pages behavioral issues, perhaps partly in the regeneration of a System Font database, clearing of System caches, or not loading certain conflicting software drivers.

I do not run any anti-virus, or so-called Mac cleaner products on my Macs, and they continue to work flawlessly with routine oversight. Over time, I have seen a great many posts in the support communities about cleaner products aggressively removing parts of the operating system, or installed applications — that lead to unstable systems, or bewilderment at erratic or failed application behavior. I do not recommend these products because they can cause difficult to diagnose problems.

Pages crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.