Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"FAKEPATH" on Uploads

I am trying to upload a document to a webpage and noticed the path includes "FAKEPATH". I searched the communities and found this issue has come up before, with no apparent solution. I do not have a solution either, but I suspect it is a problem with the websites users are trying to upload to.

I had this experience today when using my 2014 MacBook Pro with both Safari 11.0.1 and Firefox 57.0.1. So then I tried using my iPhone SE (iOS 11.1.2). FAKEPATH also showed up when using the iPhone.

I contacted the website I was trying to upload to. If I receive a response or solution, I will post a follow-up.

macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 7:44 AM

1 reply

Dec 13, 2017 7:59 AM in response to NancyH

I think fakepath is specified in HTML5 and implemented in modern browsers.

Specifications of HTML5 include: a file upload control should not reveal the real local path to the file you have selected if you manipulate its value string with JavaScript. Instead, the string that is returned by the script, which handles the file information is fakepath. JavaScript does not, and should not, have access to the client's file system.

"FAKEPATH" on Uploads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.