Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manage storage missing files

I uploaded 40GB to my documents folders, but my 'manage storage' doesn't count them against my quota. This makes me nervous, as I'm counting on iCloud to backup my data. I verified that the files are synced (I can access them from the web or iPhone even when my macBook is turned off). Why doesn't iCloud update my quota?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 7:00 AM

6 replies

Dec 14, 2017 2:12 PM in response to anotherGuy42

why shouldn't I treat iCloud as a backup?

I guess you can treat it any way you want but it is not a backup - it is a syncing service and every change you make to those files on your Mac or any other system using that iCloud login is reflected everywhere - so no backup and no way to go back when you mistakenly delete or change something - if you lose your Mac or it is stolen then you may be able to restore the now missing files from iCloud but that is about the only thing that it would be a backup for

LN

Manage storage missing files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.