Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail confused by IMAP and loses messages

I have been encountering a strange bug in Mac mail for some time now. I use the Mail program on my Mac to access my iCloud mail as well as mail from other IMAP servers. I also access these IMAP mail accounts from other devices, including my iPhone. When use the mac to delete messages, they disappear from the inbox as expected. However, sometimes when new messages arrive, Mail on the Mac displays one of the deleted messages as new instead of downloading the real message from the IMAP server. I confirm this by going to my other device (such as my iPhone) to see the actual new message that came in. This same problem happens on the mac for multiple IMAP accounts, not just for iCloud. Is there something I can do to get Mail on the Mac to actually get the new messages rather than displaying the last deleted message as if it were new?

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 8:41 AM

11 replies

Dec 14, 2017 8:36 AM in response to Paul Thorpe

See this article Mail General preferences - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Just check the settings and also read these articles How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Set up Mail with email accounts - Apple Support

Make sure you didn't change any settings in web mail account , any changes done there will have immediate impact on apple mail application .

Dec 14, 2017 9:20 AM in response to Paul Thorpe

Web mail account is your ( gmail account , could be yahoo or hotmail or any ) , the apple mail application is configured to it .

See this article email accounts - Apple Support

I am also using an IMAP account but the problem is in your mail account , it doesn't occur in mine , so you can delete the mail account and add it once again ( the mail application is corrupted ) , of course you have given a feed back or a bug report to them , but it is a system wide issue and should never happen in normal working computer .

Also unidentified apps downloaded , cleaners , anti - virus damage the default apple applications , I hope so you have not installed any .

Dec 13, 2017 9:51 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately rebuilding the mailbox only resulted in the "index" being updated on the Mac. When I click on the message, the same old deleted message appears instead of the new one. I still needed to go to my iPhone or iPad to see the message with your response.

Update... I just tried again rebuild the mailbox, and this time it worked. The new message content appears now when I click on the new message.

I will keep an eye on it to see if the problem reappears.

Dec 13, 2017 1:30 PM in response to Eric Root

Unfortunately, the same problem has cropped up again less than half a day after rebuilding the mailbox. I deleted a message, then after some time had passed noticed a new message in iCloud inbox, so I clicked on that mailbox, and noticed the message I had deleted was listed in the index as a new message. I had to go to my iPad to check the mailbox to see what the real new message was. I hope apple can figure out how to fix this bug in their mail program.

Dec 14, 2017 9:02 AM in response to tygb

Thanks for the suggestion here, but none of these articles shed light on the current problem, and I don't use webmail for my iCloud account. I already have multiple IMAP email accounts set up, and the problem occurs with other of my IMAP accounts as well, not just with my iCloud account. I have submitted a bug report to Apple.

Dec 14, 2017 10:46 AM in response to tygb

I don't use webmail on any of the IMAP accounts that are exhibiting this problem. I do access these IMAP accounts from other devices (iPhone and iPad) which also use IMAP for these accounts. The applications on my iPhone and iPad do not seem to get confused like Mail on the Mac does. I have previously used the "Internet Accounts" control panel to delete and re-add accounts, but this did not resolve the problem. Also, I don't have any of those "cleaners" installed.

Let me further say that I even tried to use my iPhone to move one of these message to a different folder or even a different email account. The moved message appeared in the correct folder or mail account on both my iPhone and iPad, but on my Mac, the folder or mail account the message was moved to contained the previously deleted message that had appeared in place of the incoming message. Some cache file or directory is being reused by Mail on the Mac instead of downloading the new message from the IMAP server.

Mail confused by IMAP and loses messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.