Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open Office (or equivalent) for iPad

I have a new iPad mini4 that I hope to use as a substitute computer while traveling. Most of the documents on my PC are in Open Office Writer or Calc. I want to be able to open and edit them on the iPad, but there don't seem to be many apps that will let me do this. I hunted all over the App Store and all I could find was a reader app.

I found a version of Open Office that supposedly works within the browser, but when I tried it, it just led me around in an endless loop, never letting me create or open anything. And when I attempted to download the iOS version of Open Office from their site, it gave me a message that "your device doesn't allow downloads" or something like that. The link to a " mirror" wouldn't work, either.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

iPad Mini Wi-Fi, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 5:42 PM

thundbird wrote:

They look good. The trouble is, none of them will download to my iPad. Libre Office just hangs at about the 1/3 point of the down load, clicking on the mirror links doesn't help. Same problem with many of the others.

No, you need to find an App in the App Store. Apple’s sole supported method of installing apps is to use the App Store. I gave you the link to the one I found - just tap that link on your iPad and it will open that app link in the App Store.

There is no OpenOffice nor LibreOffice for iOS but there are apps in the App Store that are compatible with those file formats.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2017 5:42 PM in response to thundbird

thundbird wrote:

They look good. The trouble is, none of them will download to my iPad. Libre Office just hangs at about the 1/3 point of the down load, clicking on the mirror links doesn't help. Same problem with many of the others.

No, you need to find an App in the App Store. Apple’s sole supported method of installing apps is to use the App Store. I gave you the link to the one I found - just tap that link on your iPad and it will open that app link in the App Store.

There is no OpenOffice nor LibreOffice for iOS but there are apps in the App Store that are compatible with those file formats.

Dec 14, 2017 12:41 PM in response to thundbird

See if something like this works

http://www.dataviz.com/docs-to-go

One thing you could always do, which would be a tedious pain I know, would be on your computer to open and resave the documents as word documents, then that frees up more options.

At least with this it is a free version so painless to try. I’ve used it for years on my iDevices.

Open Office (or equivalent) for iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.