Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Turboboost and CPU temp

Hello everyone,

I'm putting my new base mid-2017 MacBook Pro 13 (+ram, +ssd) through it's paces and have a performance question.

I'm replacing a mid-2009 13" and the evolution is impressive. There are a few things I don't like (ports, discreet GPU option, very expensive, etc) but it's tough to get bent out of shape because this is a really slick and solid device. My 2009 still has years of good use in it and I hope I can get the same lifespan from this new one.

I gave my 2048x1088 USB 3.0 machine vision camera a go yesterday and was able to get about 140fps capture and colour processing (8bit). It was a heavy cpu load and I ran it for about 15 minutes.

Turboboost floated between 3.4Ghz and 3.6Ghz and the CPU temp averaged 88C to 90C. I used Intel Power Gadget to monitor freq. and temp and saw that a few times, mostly in the first few minutes the temp would rise above 90C and peak at about 95C. CPU freq. wasn't throttled even at the +90C temps which I found impressive. When I stopped the test it took only 5 or so seconds to drop to 50C, which seems to be the idle temp for my computer.

I write my own image and video processing software and will often push this little computer. I was wondering if there was any danger maintaining high CPU temp/freq for long periods. I could easily set this computer to run at 100% CPU load for hours. Sometimes numerous times a day and daily.

Thanks for the comments!

Jay

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, 2 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Dec 13, 2017 10:23 AM in response to _jayryan In response to _jayryan

Apple says its products are designed to take care of their own temperature issues internally, and may slow down the clocks if things are getting too hot (and as already mentioned, power off if uncontrollably hot).

Use it the way you want to use it, and do not think about it for a moment.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Dec 13, 2017 9:48 AM in response to _jayryan In response to _jayryan

The fans are controlled in a feedback lop to reduce measured temperatures inside the computer at multiple points.

If the processor sees itself overheating, your computer will do an uncontrolled emergency power-off before damage occurs.

Dec 13, 2017 9:48 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 13, 2017 10:13 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder In response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the reply Grant!

Yes, I know the machine will automatically shut down if a critical temperature is reached. What I wonder is if I run the computer with a high load and high CPU temp, ~90c, frequently and/or for long periods if it will affect the lifespan of this computer.

Jay

Dec 13, 2017 10:13 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Dec 13, 2017 10:23 AM in response to _jayryan In response to _jayryan

Apple says its products are designed to take care of their own temperature issues internally, and may slow down the clocks if things are getting too hot (and as already mentioned, power off if uncontrollably hot).

Use it the way you want to use it, and do not think about it for a moment.

Dec 13, 2017 10:23 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: _jayryan

Question: Turboboost and CPU temp