Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing AppleID From Third Party Email to @icloud.com

I have been trying to do this since they started allowing it but I keep getting that the new AppleID cannot end in @icloud.com.

I am trying to use the @icloud.com address that was automatically generated when I created my AppleID to begin with.

Am I missing something?

Has anyone been able to get this to work?

Thanks in advanced.

iPhone X, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 9:51 AM

7 replies

Dec 13, 2017 10:08 AM in response to jbailey3368

Have you checked to see that the address you want to use is in fact already associated with your account? See the following from Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

When you change your Apple ID, you can enter another third-party email address. Or you can enter an @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com email address that's already associated with your account. To see these addresses, check Reachable At in the Account section of appleid.apple.com.

Dec 13, 2017 11:09 AM in response to jbailey3368

jbailey3368 wrote:

I have been trying to do this since they started allowing it but I keep getting that the new AppleID cannot end in @icloud.com.

I am trying to use the @icloud.com address that was automatically generated when I created my AppleID to begin with.

Am I missing something?

Has anyone been able to get this to work?

Thanks in advanced.

After following this thread -- https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/31/apple-id-third-party-email-address-update/, I went to https://appleid.apple.com and was able to change mine from @gmail to my @me, and it worked. I know, according to that thread, one is supposed to sign out of all devices, but I thought that was going to be a pain for me so risked just doing it at the Apple ID page.

Dec 13, 2017 12:27 PM in response to jbailey3368

jbailey3368 wrote:

I figured this out.

At least in my case, I had an alias @icloud.com along with my original @icloud.com. Even though I was not trying to use the alias address as my new Apple ID when I deleted it I was able to change my ID to the original @icloud.com.

Thanks for all the responses and I hope this helps someone.

Yay!!! Glad to hear you're up and running now! 🙂

Changing AppleID From Third Party Email to @icloud.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.