Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TC firmware upgrade to 7.6.9

I have a Gen 3 TC, external power supply, setup in Bridge Mode, wireless is turned off. Current operation (it's being used for TM backups only) is flawless.

I'm getting a Airport Utility message that the firmware should be upgraded from 7.6.8 to 7.6.9. Should I do it? Any risks? I don't want to risk messing things up when all is working so well.

User uploaded file

Time Capsule Gen 3-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 11:41 AM

10 replies

Dec 13, 2017 5:05 PM in response to Mike's Pad

Save your current settings.. use the airport utility and go to the File tab with the actual unit configuration open.

User uploaded file

An exported config file and the ability to downgrade firmware.. pretty much makes you immune to whatever bugs Apple might have decided to introduce..

In the airport preferences you can also check for updates monthly.

User uploaded file

Leaving it blank means nothing at all .. certainly not that it never checks..

Dec 13, 2017 4:34 PM in response to Mike's Pad

The firmware update contains an important security fix, but there is always a tiny chance that something will go wrong with any operating system update or firmware update.

So far, the only issue that has appeared had to do with a user who was using beta operating system software on his Mac.

My advice would be to watch the AirPort forum for a few days to see if any reports appear about the firmware update creating any new issues for users.

For what it's worth, 4 AirPorts here all updated in a few minutes with no issues at all.

And in addition, you can always roll back the firmware to a previous version if you wish.

Dec 13, 2017 4:34 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Just a confirmation with Bob. This particular update went very smoothly.

I have a Gen 3 TC, external power supply, setup in Bridge Mode, wireless is turned off.

Since the update is for wireless security it is irrelevant to your TC with wireless off.. it is just that Apple is never happy if you use firmware out of date.. and you will get reminders forevermore.

Dec 17, 2017 2:49 AM in response to Mike's Pad

I did the upgrade to 7.6.9. It looks like I have now lost Time Capsule time machine backups for both my iMac and my Macbook Pro. From some of the comments here, it looks like others have also lost their backups as well.

If there are any level 5s listening, any suggestions on how to fix this. I tried verify and the backup appears to be there but it is not being recognized as connected and recent on my iMac or Macbook Pro.

I will add some screenshots tomorrow, if required. The backups were gone immediately after the 7.6.9 upgrade and reboot.

Dec 26, 2017 1:53 PM in response to _TC10_

I will add some screenshots tomorrow, if required. The backups were gone immediately after the 7.6.9 upgrade and reboot.

Start your own thread.

I did not lose any backups.. and I suspect you have not lost any either.. a firmware update will do nothing to the data on the hard disk.. but Sierra and High Sierra are extremely prone to security glitches.. and any change to a network backup will result in a deliberate blocking.. this is for your security. The solution is simple factory reset.. again no files are lost. Use all new simple names.. short, no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Then point TM back to the newly renamed TC.. it will say it is going to begin a new backup but will discover the previous one.. and then after maybe a longish check complete another incremental backup.

TC firmware upgrade to 7.6.9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.