Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility won't upgrade SSD to APFS

Cloned El Capitan (10.11.6) to a 1TB SSD; it booted OK as external. Then upgraded the SSD to High Sierra (10.13.2) which continues to boot OK after installing SSD my iMac (12,1 - mid-2011).

Restarting in recovery mode takes me to Disk Utilities (v17.0) and sees the SSD as it should, but converting the boot partition to APFS is grayed-out in the tools menu.

Restarting in regular mode works OK, but the drive is still OS Extended (Journaled) format. What's up with that?

User uploaded file

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 11:02 AM

3 replies

Dec 13, 2017 1:35 PM in response to RAltizer

RAltizer wrote:

I'll give that a try, but the only macOS-bootable disk I have is my old El Capitan HDD.

By following the link in the previous reply, a High Sierra download acquired from the Mac App Store can be made bootable on external storage, given a sufficiently-capacious USB storage device. I'd expect a USB storage device of 8 GB or larger will work.

Disk Utility won't upgrade SSD to APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.